FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 for sale again

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Stephen Best
Re: FCP 7 for sale again
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:11:31 pm

Back to the Future, it seems. Get 'em while they're hot.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:04:37 am

So I just got off the phone with apple. Yes, this is true you can now buy FCS3.
But wait, there is a catch. Isn't there always?
The catch is that it is $999. Period. No $299 for those that have exiting licenses.
It is very clever of them to defeat their critics this way. One of the biggest complaints is no more licenses of FCS3. But who is really going to pay a grand for EOL software, when three months ago, those with existing licenses could have got the same thing for $299.
I'm sure someone out there will applaud apple for this, but I find it a deceptive 'bait and switch' since those with existing licenses were told that upgrades at a discounted price is part of what we were paying for when we made the initial purchase at the full price.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:12:29 am

[Scott Sheriff] "The catch is that it is $999. Period. No $299 for those that have exiting licenses."

You mean no UPGRADE pricing for people with FCP 6 or earlier? Or just additional licenses?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:12:57 am

[Shane Ross] "You mean no UPGRADE pricing for people with FCP 6 or earlier? Or just additional licenses?"

Sorry I was unclear on that. I'm in the Apple system as an existing FCS2 user purchased directly from apple, and that was confirmed by the person at the call center. The price I was quoted was $999. When I said that I had a valid serial number, from a previous version, and this is an upgrade, I was told the price is still $999 usd. My guess is that if we complain about this enough, it will eventually be resolved as an 'oversight', and the upgrade price will be offered. But as of right now, I was told there is no $299 upgrade for anyone.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:12:57 am

[Scott Sheriff] "No $299 for those that have exiting licenses."
B&H says 7 to 14 days. They'd normally have Discontinued.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/639516-REG/Apple_MB643Z_A_Final_Cut_S...

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:59:56 am

Get it while you can.

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Apple+Final+Cut+Studio+3+Upgrade+from+Final+C...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:24:09 am

[Craig Seeman] "B&H says 7 to 14 days. They'd normally have Discontinued.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/639516-REG/Apple_MB643Z_A_Final_Cut_S....."

Well, that is interesting. I was told there is no 'upgrade' pricing when I called apple to order it. Looks like I'll go with B&H if/when this becomes available.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

sandy shapiro
on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:56:23 am

will they be coming out with FCP 8 in the future?

i have 7 - paid $999 a year or so ago. will i be able to upgrade to a new version in the future for 299?

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:58:32 am

"Plisskin? I thought you were dead!"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:06:58 pm

Maybe Apple realized they were leaving money on the table, not catering to that artificially stimulated demand. By doing it just over the phone, they can stop it again any time they feel like they've tapped the vein sufficiently, for any excuse. And this way it may take the edge off the torches and pitchforks crowd who are upset that FCPx isn't quite finished yet. Sales and PR win/win. But they had to wait for Jobs to step back to suggest it, I reckon.

I don't begrudge them asking the full price. The main argument from the user community was that they needed complete new seats of the suite, the serious people had upgraded from 6 a long time before.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:24:51 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I don't begrudge them asking the full price. The main argument from the user community was that they needed complete new seats of the suite,"

As i said, this is NOT a new licenses, it is an upgrade, for which they are asking the full license price for. I don't have a problem with full price for new licenses either. Part of what you are paying for when you buy a full licenses is the discounted upgrades, which was in effect until 6/20/11 when it was canceled without any notice to the user base.

[Mark Suszko] "the serious people had upgraded from 6 a long time before"
Don't you still use FCS2?
I know a couple of people still using FCS2 that are so busy editing they've never come here or any of the other boards, and didn't have a clue FCP X was out, or FCS3 was EOL'd. I guess they're not very serious???

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2011 at 9:01:36 pm

Don't you still use FCS2?
I know a couple of people still using FCS2 that are so busy editing they've never come here or any of the other boards, and didn't have a clue FCP X was out, or FCS3 was EOL'd. I guess they're not very serious???

Scott Sheriff

No, well before we knew X was coming out, we requested an upgrade to FCS3. It took almost two years by my reckoning to do it, but we got our stuff in about 4 weeks before the day of infamy, and had it installed and updated the week after X debuted. Totally luck on our part, but things move slow in my part of the world so we have to take certain initiatives well in advance where possible.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:51:11 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Maybe Apple realized they were leaving money on the table, not catering to that artificially stimulated demand. "

If pro post has little financial value then it would be pointless to do this. Apple's real motive is that facilities buying FCS are buying Macs. They are concerned that facilities which buy MacPro will stop buying them. Apple is buying time until they can get out the new MacPros (whatever replaces them) before facilities move to PCs.

Apple loses next to nothing if people move from FCS to Premiere. Apple losses a lot if they move from Mac to Windows. They are trying to safeguard future Mac sales.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2011 at 9:03:43 pm

QFT:

Apple loses next to nothing if people move from FCS to Premiere. Apple losses a lot if they move from Mac to Windows. They are trying to safeguard future Mac sales.

-Craig Seeman

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:44:54 pm

Yeah, I get that a lot...

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Sep 2, 2011 at 7:20:30 pm

So, where are these $299 upgrades coming from? I just ordered mine from Videoguys.com.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:00:36 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "So, where are these $299 upgrades coming from? I just ordered mine from Videoguys.com."

That is a good question. The link at B&H Craig provided now says discontinued again, instead of out of stock for 14 days.
Be sure to keep us updated on your vidoeguys.com order. Or maybe even get them to post what the deal is with their ability to do this, when even apple is saying no.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:33:48 am

Now the Videoguys website is saying,"Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. We will not charge your card until we have product to ship you." It didn't say that when I ordered this morning. I received confirmation of my order, but no notice of shipment. Seems fishy to me.

Return to posts index

Rosa Linda Román
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:03:42 pm

Hi Chris, Did you ever get the upgrade or any further information about your order from the VideoGuys.com? I just ordered the upgrade too and am curious if I will actually get it or not. I figured it was worth a shot since they are the only place I have found the upgrade option (for the under $300 price... not the $999).

Crossing my fingers...

Sincerely,
Rosa Linda

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:14:27 pm

All I have received so far is a confirmation of my order. No notice of shipment, and no notice that it is backordered or delayed.

Return to posts index

Rosa Linda Román
on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:50:56 pm

Just FYI, for anyone following this thread...

I finally got verbal confirmation from the VideoGuys.com that they will not be able to fulfill my order for the FCP 7 upgrade. The lady was really nice and sounded very frustrated with Apple for the way they left them hanging on getting the product. But, the bottom line is that they can't send me the upgrade now, and don't expect to get it in the future.

So, at this point I am back to square one. Were any of the other upgrade avenues that anyone has mentioned been successful? I am supposed to start a FCP 7 class on Monday, but unless I can find a way to upgrade quickly I guess I'm out of luck.

Return to posts index

Steve Yu
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:10:52 pm

It has been a big disappointment that Apple would decide to sell the full version again, but ignore the needs of existing FCP6 users by not offering the upgrade.

I have been watching for the FCP Studio upgrade on Amazon for the last couple of months and occasionally it will pop up at the regular price, sold by Amazon as opposed to 3rd party sellers (for $500+). Today by chance, I checked the page and Amazon was selling it for $295 - I jumped on it and bought a copy, sent an email to a friend about it, and then checked again and it was gone. Price back up to $500

We'll see if it ships -- Amazon is typically very good at this, so I am hopeful. So if you are looking for the upgrade, I'd suggest checking Amazon routinely to see if it pops back up. I'm not sure how they're even getting additional inventory of the upgrade version, but I may have lucked out today.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Sep 4, 2011 at 10:27:06 pm

I'm on FCP 6, would spending $299.00 for the FCP 7 upgrade be a big advantage for me or should I take the $299.00 and put that towards the special promo being offered from Adobe for the Creative Production Bundle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]