FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding second FCP 7 station Pro or iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew bradshaw
Adding second FCP 7 station Pro or iMac
on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:37:28 pm

Hi. We have FCP 7 running on a decent Mac Pro attached to a 3TB Raid 5 by esata and various other drives. We want to get another FCP 7 seat while we can. Money is tight of course. If I buy an iMac (which one?) will I be able to share the 3TB through some sort of a network connection and will this be fast enough for HD prores 422? Will I be able to use the iMac for transcoding if no one is editing on it? I am no expert in connecting things up so please keep it relatively simple!
Matt.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Adding second FCP 7 station Pro or iMac
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:34:56 pm

[matthew bradshaw] "We want to get another FCP 7 seat while we can"

Too late. Unless you find some back alley deal, or eBay... because FCP 7 (Final Cut Studio 3) is no longer for sale.

[matthew bradshaw] ") will I be able to share the 3TB through some sort of a network connection and will this be fast enough for HD prores 422? "

Get a fast RAID to connect to one machine, then connect the machines via GIGe Ethernet...and then turn on SHARING on that machine, and share the drive. You will need to connect to that machine manually every time you start up. But BOTH people accessing the footage at the same time? That won't work for that. For that you will need a dedicated server and ethernet router.

[matthew bradshaw] "Will I be able to use the iMac for transcoding if no one is editing on it?"

Yes.

[matthew bradshaw] "I am no expert in connecting things up so please keep it relatively simple!"

Ah...you want a step by step, blow by blow. Well, if you want shared storage that you can both edit from at the same time, you will need ANOTHER computer to be the server, and will have to have an ethernet setup going on. Small Tree Communications does this quite often, they perfected it. You should have them set this up for you

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:50:49 pm

Thanks Shane, very helpful.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 1, 2011 at 6:36:17 pm

[Shane Ross] "Too late. Unless you find some back alley deal, or eBay... because FCP 7 (Final Cut Studio 3) is no longer for sale."

There are still a few retailers out there that have it in stock. Quantities are very limited.

The other issue you will run into is that the new Macs come with Lion installed. You might want to create a new external Snow Leopard start up disc.

Other World Computing offers an external eSata port upgrade.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]