FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does FCP supports SONY XDCAM HD422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sumit Bahuguna
Does FCP supports SONY XDCAM HD422?
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:33:12 pm

Hi,
I am working with SONY XDCAM HD422(1420x1080i)@50mbps on my FCP, but it is quitting unexpectedly very frequently, its entirely impossible to work on it. Is the format fully supported by the FCP, or do I need to change it to some other format?
I am working on APPLE MACPRO, with 2x2.4GHzquadcore intel xeon processor,6GBram,FCP 7.0.3,OS:-snow leopard.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: Does FCP supports SONY XDCAM HD422?
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:56:37 pm

Are you using the Sony Transfer Utility to get the footage into FCP from the original disc? Also, I may be wrong but 50mb/s 422 clips should be 1920 X 1080 square pixel.
I just finished offlining a 60 min doc that was a mix of XDCAM 50mb/s and 35mb/s 24p on a 2010 12-core MacPro. I would get a crash once or twice per session. I checked various sources for tips how to minimize crashes and other than transcoding to ProRes here's what I tried.

Keep open sequences to a minimum.
Turn off thumbs in bins and sequences.
Avoid Motion templates.
Use Diskwarrior on all your drives.

I would still get the occasional crash but that didn't really impact my ability to get the job done.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Avid Artist Transport • Media Composer 5.5 • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Sumit Bahuguna
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:13:33 pm

Thanks Lee for your reply. Yes I am importing footage into FCP through SONY XDCAM BROWSER\TRANSFER. Also 50Mbps XDCAM HD422 are 1920x1080 and square pixel. But as you have written about the configuration there is much difference between your machine and that of mine. Is my machine's configuration creating the problem, do I need to upgrade it, to handle HD422 footage?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:36:00 pm

I had similar issues with native HD422 1080i 50mbps. I switched over to ProRes422 for the video and ProRes4444 instead of Motion files. Things are much better now.

My advice is to do as much of a cut without filters/layers as possible. Things were pretty stable for me with just the footage on the timeline, but as the project grew in complexity more issues came up. Have your autosave vault duration fairly short and press save often to avoid lost work. Hit it with ProRes next time around - the time saved will more than pay for the disk space used.

I think some more RAM would probably do your system some good, but I'm sure people have cut HD shows with far less. I'm working with a MacPro, 12 core, 12gb RAM, and a few RAID-5s.

Return to posts index

Sumit Bahuguna
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:52:11 pm

I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB, but its still quitting. I have 2 machines with same configuration but both of them are behaving in same way. I am trying every possible step to minimise the processing. Should I convert all of my raw footage to ProRes422 which is around 10Hrs, and it will take that much time to convert. Is there any other feasable option for me?
Macpro, 2x2.24GHz quadcore intel xeon, 8GB RAM. 10TB Raid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]