FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewing and (eventually) importing digibeta tapes, powermac g5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Cartwright
Viewing and (eventually) importing digibeta tapes, powermac g5
on Aug 30, 2011 at 11:54:17 am

Hi,

I'm currently on a project (on my own here) where I've practically been dumped with 150+ dvds and a couple dozen boxes of digibeta tapes which will eventually make up a linear tv channel. We have a production company that happily will transfer the digibeta tapes to dvd (which I can actually work with).
My problem is, I've never worked with digibeta tapes, we don't really know what is actually on these tapes either and cannot find an easy way to view these tapes either. I've found out from our production company that we can borrow a "digibeta deck" but I would need an SDI card on the computer I want to import the footage on. I've been looking at cards but feel I am in over my head, all the cards seem to be for intel based macs too which is a problem as I only have a power mac... I'm guessing I'd be using the sdi card (connected to the deck) as a DV import device? Definitely in over my head, I'm learning as I'm going along and I can tell I will need more people to get through all this content as soon as we've started up. Googling hasn't really helped me out on this project :/

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong section, I figured seeing as I'd be using final cut in the end (which I also have no experience in) this would be the best section? Don't hate me please :D

Thanks, Jack

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Viewing and (eventually) importing digibeta tapes, powermac g5
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:25:32 pm

You are right...you will need a capture card. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, ones for G5s are no longer sold. That computer is 5+ years old...and companies only support current tech. You could search eBay or craigslist for an AJA Kona LH (Not LHi or LHe...plain old LH), or AJA IO (IO, not IO HD or IO Express). There are Decklink models too, but I don't know what they are for G5s. And then you need the technical know-how on connecting the deck to the card, knowing what RS-422 deck control is, and black burst sync...that using SDI connections is better than Component, definately better than Composite, and that it carries audio.

Or you can look for a Canopus ADVC-300 DV converter...this will convert the signal to DV...which isn't as good as Digibeta captured as uncompressed...oh, which you might not be able to do anyway due to needing very fast drives (non-firewire...eSATA, SAS, Fibre). You won't have deck control with this option, nor accurate timecode, but it will be simple.

Or...find a place to capture the footage for you. Describing all the ins and outs of installing cards, getting them up and running, connecting the deck, making sure that you can control it, and all the deck settings...is a bit much to tackle on a forum.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jack Cartwright
on Sep 1, 2011 at 8:55:14 am

Thank you for the detailed post, I'm guessing we'll have to borrow the deck, look at the footage we need and then send the tapes back to our production company for capture. You mentioned component outputs, does this mean we can watch the tapes back using a tv set? Or is the component output different to what I'm imagining. Sorry, must sound like a complete amateur :D

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:24:19 am

You may be in luck. If you have a current LCD/plasma flatscreen, it should have component inputs.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]