FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced TGA's

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Kennedy
Interlaced TGA's
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:57:07 am

I've been sent a graphic as TGA files and have been told that the TGA incorporates both interlaced fields. but on import to FCP7 the files are interprated as Progressive and even if I change them all to upper field first it still looks strange. What is going on?? Is it true that TGA's can incorporate 2 fields and if so how does(or does not) FCP interprate these?? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Please help!,
oh and many thanks in advance.

Nick Kennedy

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Interlaced TGA's
on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:41:13 am

Depending on the source of the TGA, it may show an interlaced image, but that doesn't mean it is actually interlaced. You can do the same with a frame capture from FCP timeline and it is the same for TGA or JPEG.

A still from an interlaced image can be deinterlaced in photoshop. You might also try dropping the deinterlace filter in FCP on the image and see if that fixes it.

Return to posts index

Nick Kennedy
on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:09:52 am

Hallo Michael,
many thanks for your quick reply, but for further clarification- I am trying to produce interlaced SD PAL (25i). My problem is I'm not sure how FCP is interpreting the TGA files from a Graphics department who are telling me the TGA's are already interlaced. In my FCP browser they are being flagged as progressive and seem, on playing, a little bit jittery. My question is are the graphics dept. right in saying that the TGA's are interlaced and have I missed a setting in FCP somewhere or are they wrong and the TGA's are actually progressive? Is there another way to check the format of the TGA's?
Cheers

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 30, 2011 at 3:54:08 pm

Are you talking about a tga sequence, or individual tga still files?

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Nick Kennedy
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:57:56 am

Hallo Alan,

I'm talking about TGA sequence (I think!) I mean they are each individual TGA files with the end 0001.tga up to 0250.tga. I have set the import still frame size to 1 frame in FCP then I import all the frames (or rather the folder with all the frames) and place them on the
timeline. They then form a complete animation 10 seconds long. I'm unsure if each frame of the animation (each 0001.tga for example) really has two fields or is there an extra setting in FCP so that each TGA is properly displayed with two fields. At the moment on import the browser shows that each TGA(of the animation) is a progressive Frame.
Thanks for joining the conversation.

Cheers

Nick

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:01:13 pm

Hi Nick,

Sadly FCP is the only NLE I know that doesn't import bitmap sequences directly. The way I do this is via Motion.

Import the first tga, telling motion in its import dialogue that it's part of a tga sequence. Once the sequence has been imported as a single media file you can set it's interpretation as progressive, upper or lower field first - depending on how it's been produced. Bearing in mind that it won't be immediately apparent on PC/Mac monitor whether this is working correctly - you really need proper video monitoring.

You can then either put your Motion project directly in your FCP timeline or export a mov to import into FCP - again bearing in mind that field order is preserved during the export and import.

Hope this helps,

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]