FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pitch Issue with Cinema Tools Conform 25 to 23.98

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marni Page
Pitch Issue with Cinema Tools Conform 25 to 23.98
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:41:38 am

Hi. I've conformed some video from 25 to 23.98 in Cinema Tools. I had the understanding that despite the fact that the video is being slowed down 4%, that Cinema Tools automatically makes the pitch adjustment. When I playback the new clip in my 23.98 timeline, however, my subject sounds like the incredible hulk. Anyone know what step I'm missing? Do I just have to apply a pitch filter afterward to compensate?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Pitch Issue with Cinema Tools Conform 25 to 23.98
on Aug 29, 2011 at 6:24:19 am

Cinema tools just changes the clips meta data so it plays at the slower frame rate which drops the pitch. Cinema tools is not doing any processing of the original file so it can't do anything to the audio.

Best software to change the original sound back to correct pitch is iZotope, MPEX3 or Pitch N Time.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Aug 29, 2011 at 1:52:23 pm

Cinema Tools does actually resample the audio to about 46khz when going 25 to 23.976. (Check in QT)

Here's another option using Soundtrack Pro:

1. Open the 25p footage in Cinema Tools and conform to 23.976 (This is destructive process)

2. Open this same file in Soundtrack and Process/Resample the audio to 48000. Save to aiff 16 bit

3. Open conformed movie in QT Pro and delete the audio track.

4. Open the audio saved from Soundtrack Pro and copy track

5. Paste into video movie (OPT+Apple+V)

Video should be 23.976 and audio 48khz

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:28:17 pm

[John Kaley] "Cinema Tools does actually resample the audio to about 46khz when going 25 to 23.976."

Not resampled. Just playing back slower. Hence the pitch change. The sample rate reflects the speed change - the original samples are unaffected. You can check this by reconforming to 25 and doing a difference check in the OS - the file should be identical to the original.

The OP asked why Cinema Tools isn't compensating for the speed change with a pitch correction. The reason why is because it just doesn't. The programs mentioned (Pitch N Time, etc.) are pitch correctors that are needed if the pitch change is a concern.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:38:29 pm

Thanks for the info Mark. The Soundtrack Pro method still works without getting any extra software.
It can also be accomplished with Compressor, and it will correct the audio pitch too:

In the video settings tab, select the codec (ProRes I hope) and change the frame rate to 23.976.
In the Frame Controls tab at the bottom select Rate Conversion/Best.
Click the very bottom button that says, "so source frames play at 23.976"
Output at 100% of source and yer good to go.

The Compressor method will take much longer, as it has to reconform all of the frames.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]