FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics Card, Matrox or Sync Generator Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
Graphics Card, Matrox or Sync Generator Problem
on Aug 28, 2011 at 1:50:36 pm

You can see my computer spec's below and for the most part my system works very good considering the frequency of use and the amount of material I deal with. There is one problem that creeps up from time to time and has me stumped, not sure it it's the Mini Sync Generator, Graphics Card or my Matrox.

While editing and usually after the system has been up and running for a while, the FCP Canvas and the FSI Monitor glitch in unison, green static type glitch. The Sync Generator set correct, feeds Matrox and Monitor.

I can usually correct the problem by turning the Matrox to internal sync although it should be set to external, or by shutting down the system and restart. Graphics Card, Matrox or Sync Generator?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Graphics Card, Matrox or Sync Generator Problem
on Aug 28, 2011 at 10:21:53 pm

Are you hooked up to an external tape deck? Do you need to sync everything to a sync generator for any particular reason? I do here because I have two suites and need to sync to house for audio lock between studios. If yoyu are just standalone and no external devices like tape decks etc, then I would run without sync.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Aug 28, 2011 at 10:38:46 pm

Yes, I'm hooked to a couple older tape decks I don't often use so yes I could go without. Then again why do I have the problem I described earlier, particularly interested to understand the problem and be sure my graphics card is not faulty.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 28, 2011 at 11:14:36 pm

Is this a new problem? Some have reported graphics driver issues when upgrading OS to 10.6.8 . Did you do this upgrade? There is nothing in this upgrade except the apps store to facilitate downloading FCP X so if you haven't then don't bother.

I have the same ATI card, but a Kona3 and a Tektronix video sync generator and I have not seen this behaviour. You could try the latest driver for the ATI card

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:49:25 am

[Michael Harrington] "I can usually correct the problem by turning the Matrox to internal sync although it should be set to external, or by shutting down the system and restart. Graphics Card, Matrox or Sync Generator?"
As Michael points, you have nothing to sync there.
Your monitor just need the video signal from the box.
BTW, when you have those problems when on "External Sync", do you have those VTRs plugged and powered?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:06:48 pm

Yes, I'm on ver.10.6.8, this problem has existed since before this upgrade. THe VTR's are plugged but not powered when the green glitch problem comes around.

I understand when not using the tape decks it's not necessary to select external sync but it should still work. My biggest concern is that the Canvas and Broadcast Monitor are glitchy, why?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:26:22 pm

[Michael Harrington] "I understand when not using the tape decks it's not necessary to select external sync but it should still work."
"External", is to get your system sinced the system gets sinced to the incomming video signal.
If the VTRs are powered off, the Matrox is not getting any signal to sync with.
Nos sense to set External. That´s the wrong case.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]