FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Vs Premiere Pro CS5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Hennegrave
Final Cut Pro Vs Premiere Pro CS5
on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:09:03 am

Hi guys out there,

Can someone please explain to me the advantages of Final Cut Pro over Adobe Premiere Pro CS5?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Charles Hennegrave
Vice-President of JC Dream none profit association
London

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Final Cut Pro Vs Premiere Pro CS5
on Aug 28, 2011 at 2:54:37 am

At this stage in the game Final Cut Pro is EOL (end of life) and won't be getting updated. As such many Final Cut editors are defecting to Avid (Media Composer) and Adobe. While you could go to Final Cut Pro it would be a peculiar decision to be making.

Then, of course, there's Final Cut X which is inferior to anything listed above for professional purposes and probably superior for family videos or cuts of your friend's band.

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:34:19 pm

Is there a consensus building yet as to which is the better migration from FCP for feature editors - Avid or Adobe?

I imagine Adobe would be easier to learn, as it is very similar to FCP, plus the suite comes with Photoshop and After Effects.

But is Adobe used for any studio feature films? Or is Avid the defacto standard by far?

I have to make a decision soon on which system to invest in.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:33:10 pm

[Adrian Makai] "But is Adobe used for any studio feature films? Or is Avid the defacto standard by far?"

I have absolutely nothing against Adobe or Premiere, just stating fact that, I know just one single person in Los Angeles who actually uses Premiere. I'm sure that will change some over the coming months, but not much.

So, I'll go on record as stating that Avid will be the defacto standard standard. And, that's going to happen faster than anyone thinks as every business currently based upon FCS 3 heads for the hills.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38:56 pm

Thanks for the input David.

As far as Avid goes - do you recommend going Avid on the Mac platform or making the jump to Windows platform?

A lot of people, me included, think that Apple might exit the pro space hardware-wise as well in the coming months or years. My only worry in moving to Windows is - how well would worflow integrate with post sound, which is largely ProTools on Mac?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:52:10 pm

With the thousand dollars you will save buying windows hardware buy MacDrive software so you can read/ write Mac formated drives. That is the only compatibility issue I can see with ProTools on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:03:33 am

We've already experienced some headaches and limitations with MacDrive. My VFX guy is currently on Windows and it's been impossible for him to play any of my Mac-originated QT files on Windows due to certain limitations with MacDrive.

I still like the idea of moving to Windows, though, both for cost savings and the fact that I no longer trust Apple for pro stuff. I'm just worried about the above-mentioned types of problems when dealing with other people in the chain who are still on Macs.

Return to posts index

Charles Hennegrave
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:33:57 am

Hi Adrian,

I've been working for a while on a PC worstation, very often receiving Mac-originated QT files either for editing or VFX. I of course use MacDrive to download them. Even though it is true I can't read them with QT for PC, I can put them on either Premiere Pro or After Effects' timeline mo problem at all and work on them. I deal almost everyday with people on Macs, and so far, no problem whatsoever. I am runnibg Windows 7 x64, 2x Xeon 5680 @ 3.33 ghtz, 64 GB RAM, 16 TB Hard drives @ 15000 rpm and Nvidia Quadro FX 5800.

Best,

Charles

Charles Hennegrave
Vice-President of JC Dream none profit association
London

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:04:05 am

[Adrian Makai] "As far as Avid goes - do you recommend going Avid on the Mac platform or making the jump to Windows platform?"

If your system runs Avid now, do that... When Avid 6.0 is released see what the consensus is first, then consider what platform to use.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:41:25 am

Thanks for the input Charles and David.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]