FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro used with model Helicopter - now "wobble" effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Epstein
GoPro used with model Helicopter - now "wobble" effect
on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:55:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there might now how to get rid of this "wobbling" effect of my footage. It was mounted underneath the rotor on a mount (because, uh, where else is it gonna go). The footage suffered the wrath of "rotor wash" and now has a "wobble effect" throughout. I fed it through several stabilization filters and shake filters, but to no avail. For a more visual idea of what is going on, it looks kind of like a ripple effect on water - but with no origination spot - it's just universally throughout the footage. I know GoPro is 50fps so I flirted with the idea of possibly interlacing the footage or changing the frame rate - but I'm not even sure this will do any good. If an of you gurus out there have a fix for this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: GoPro used with model Helicopter - now "wobble" effect
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:05:53 pm

That's going to be REALLY tough to fix, even if it can be fixed at all. I don't think FCP would ever be up to the task.

Rather than trying to save the shot through elaborate, time-consuming and possibly expensive techniques, I would consider this as a GoPro lesson: you now know you need a more secure mount so the camera doesn't wiggle from the rotor wash.

Personally, I'd rather reshoot it rather than go through a few levels of hell trying to fix it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:34:29 pm

Rolling shutter. http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

Also I have read that the warp stabilising effect in After Effects 5.5 is also useful. As Dave says, nothing beats getting the mount right. I have heard from experienced Go Pro people that sometimes double sided tape is all you need. The person I am refering to does all the Go Pro rigs for Top Gear Australia and he swears by double sided tape to help reduce the wobbles from hard mounts.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:38:41 pm

Oh I love Google search-

http://philipbloom.net/2010/10/31/imovie11/

Cheaper than the Foundry plugin but I can't vouch for how good it is. It might also be in FCP X. If it is, beware of installing FCP X on your current system without first reading David Roth Weiss's excellent article on a properly partitioned install.

Return to posts index

Zachary Epstein
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:43:58 pm

Thanks for all the responses - all good advice indeed. The problem is, I am a video contractor on the job and was hired by a nice gentleman from Australia to fix this problem. He was on a contracted job himself - out of town - and probably won't be able to go back to the site - I've never touched a GoPro in my life. As far as those other links - I'm going to check them now... thank god for CreativeCow. I will be back to let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:54:52 pm

The foundry plugin is for Nuke or AE and there is a 15 day free trial.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:03:55 pm

If you have no other choice than to fix the footage, you may also want to look at After Effects CS5.5 and its new Warp Stabilizer feature.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

sven giebel
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:11:43 am

I think I can imagine what your footage looks like and I imagine you're out of luck ;-(

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 26, 2011 at 10:45:21 am

Fixing the skew on that buildings shoot shouldn´t be much difficult; the vertical is the reference.
Fixing the inframe wobbleling is a different story. No references.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]