FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log & Transfer P2 as ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Raff
Log & Transfer P2 as ProRes
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:15:15 pm

Time to confess some basic ignorance.

When I ingest P2 files in Log & Transfer, they always come in DVCPro HD clips. This is fine with me as I know that's how they were shot and I am fine with editing in their native codec. But I feel like I ought to be able to ingest them as ProRes and I can't seem to figure out how. (Background: We shot some interviews for a client and the client wants another agency to do the post. I copied the P2 cards to a hard drive, but now the client is asking me to send ProRes MOV files to the other agency--who claims to have Final Cut Pro, but is not able to Log and Transfer P2 files. I'm thinking this other agency may actually only have FCE.)

I can find the Import Preferences window inside of Log and Transfer. In my system, there are three primary options: MPEG2 Consumer Cameras, P2 Plugin and AVCHD Plugin. Under P2 Plugin is listed P2 AVC-Intra and a drop down menu allowing me to select several options, including ProRes HQ, regular ProRes 422, ProRes LT, ProRes Proxy, as well as DVCPRO HD and "Native" whatever that might be. I've selected Apple ProRes 422 as the option in each of the drop downs, but any clip I import comes in as DVCPRO HD.

We have a Panny HVX-200 which isn't capable of shooting AVC-Intra, so that plugin is of no use to me, right?

Am I missing some more basic P2 Plugin? If so, where do I get it and how do I install it? (Was it in some Software Update that I failed to install?)

Or does it simply import DVCProHD as DVCProHD and I have to convert the clips to ProRes in some other way, such as:

1) Batch convert in Compressor or MPEG Streamclip
2) Drag DVCPROHD clips to a ProRes timeline and render

I'm on FCP 7.0.3 and Software Update does not list any Pro Apps updates.

Help me, Obi Wan!

As always, any insight is appreciated.

TIA,

Mike Raff
Richmond, VA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Log & Transfer P2 as ProRes
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:51:09 pm

[Mike Raff] "Or does it simply import DVCProHD as DVCProHD and I have to convert the clips to ProRes in some other way, such as:"

PRecisely. I would use Compressor. Just take the files out of your capture scratch and setup a proRes compressor droplet with the full raster frame size, prores codec, and audio set to passthrough. Make sure to add the frame rate as well. 23.976 for 24p footage if that's what you have.

Return to posts index

Mike Raff
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:40:47 pm

Thanks for the good info and speedy reply, Jeremy.

Mike

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:55:27 pm

If you haven't seen it this workflow from Shane Ross is good stuff.
Matt.
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Return to posts index

Mike Raff
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:41:52 pm

Thanks, Matthew. I'll take a look.

Mike

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:50:14 pm

Anytime you shoot for another and hand off the raw - they should get the P2 Files. All the card media. We ship it to them on a USB drive or BD-R. Any edit system or editor worth their salt can ingest P2.

Some want the raw cam files converted to mov for them - they should pay for this service.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mike Raff
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:28:18 pm

I agree on all counts.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

Mike Raff
Richmond, VA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>