FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lion and FCP7 Memory Management Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Bryant
Lion and FCP7 Memory Management Issues
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:30:22 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Longtime fan of the forum, first-time poster. I'd appreciate any advice.

I have a new 3.44ghz i7 iMac, 8gb RAM, Internal HD + Internal SSD. It's been humming along fine for about a week now, but today every time I try to render I'm getting an "out of memory" error.

Before I got the computer I'd been reading the Lion had some issues with memory leaks, and I guess I'm seeing that now... I've restarted FCP, restarted the computer, nothing.

Should I roll back to Snow Leopard, and if so, are there any known issues installing SL on an SSD?

Thanks very much for your time. Cheers,

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Lion and FCP7 Memory Management Issues
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:24:04 pm

Firstly you should check the usual suspects for that error message. FCP uses that unhelpful message for a few different causes. Prime suspect is having a file in the sequence that has pixel dimensions of 4k or greater. Next culprit might be graphics or stills that are not RGB. A search of this forum may reveal further clues and fixes for this error message. Try searching for Memory Error.

You can often find the culprit file by rendering small blocks to isolate the part of the sequence that bombs the render. Look at the attributes of each file in the block and narrow down the culprit(s).

It may also be a new issue with Lion. Given the choice I would run a FCP7 system on SL. Apple have said Lion is OK for FCS3 but as it offers nothing for FCS3 functionality and if your system is not running other software that needs 64 bit and Lion functionality then I see no reason to use it as your OS. As always the advice here is a clean install on a wiped drive (after cloning the old drive just in case). SSD doesn't make any difference to install advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]