FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring all media to another drive and working off of it? FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Gerace
Transferring all media to another drive and working off of it? FCP 7
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:54:33 pm

I am trying to Transfer all my media from 2 other drives (Drive A and B). Final cut recognized drive A as my scratch disks. If I put every folder from drive A and B (P2 footage, flip cam footage, DSLR Footage) onto the new drive I want to work on, Drive C, can I reset the Scratch Disks for Drive C and have a painless transfer?

When I tried doing this earlier FCP kept looking for disconnected media on the Drive A and B when I had already brought everything over to Drive C.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Transferring all media to another drive and working off of it? FCP 7
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:18:56 pm

When you set a new scratch disk, FCP regards it as the scratch disk no matter which project you open. Have you tried reconnecting the media in this project, then saving the project? Or definitely a copy of it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonan Grobler
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:20:35 pm

Nope, you're going to have to reconnect the media from drive B.

Return to posts index

Anthony Gerace
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:31:30 pm

Yeah, but after transferring and reconnecting everything, AND putting all media on drive C, THEN making drive C my scratch disks, will everything be good to go?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:24:31 pm

[Anthony Gerace] "...after transferring and reconnecting everything, AND putting all media on drive C, THEN making drive C my scratch disks, will everything be good to go?"

If you do it in the proper sequence, yes. But you don't have the proper sequence.

This is: Make the new drive the scratch disk. Transfer the media files to the new drive, and place them in the appropriate folder for the way you've set your scratch disk. Open the project. Reconnect the media. Save the project. Save a copy of the project.

After that, life should be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:26:11 pm

It helps if you make the structure of the new drive identical so that the path to the media files is the same.
Matt.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:36:08 pm

The "official" or "proper" way to move a project and all of it's media to another drive is to use the "copy function" of Media Manager. Relinking is completely unnecessary using MM, and it does what computers do best, i.e. rounding up everything that used in in of the bins and sequences you, the user, select.

Read the part of the manual deal with Media Manager first...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]