FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing DNxHD Quicktimes - Audio Quirks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Charrington
Importing DNxHD Quicktimes - Audio Quirks
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:59:40 pm

This one has probably been addressed elsewhere, but I'm hoping for some insight into a specific circumstance that has to do with this.

The long and short of it all is that I have been tasked with taking in Quicktime files provided to us from an Avid user who supplies us with DNxHD codec'd QT files and turn them around into .MXF files. (Please don't ask why.)

I've been given a Final Cut Pro 7 station and with "Sony XDCam Transfer" installed, and the idea is to take the DNxHD QT files into FCP, render them into an XDCAM 422 timeline and export the .MXF file using the XDCam Transfer option within Final Cut.

The issue that's begun to crop up is that the spots I take into the timeline don't always have all their audio. Typically the spots have about 1 second of slate, 3 seconds of black, and then the spot plays. However, the first 15 frames of actual video always seems to be missing its audio.

Checking the original Avid DNxHD Quicktime file, all the audio is there and sounds fine. So it looks like a case of "Final Cut just doesn't like it".

The work-around I've discovered for now is to take the DNxHD file into Quicktime Player 7 Pro an Export it as something FCP likes (like ProRes). The problem I have with that is that sometimes these DNxHD files come in with more then 2 channels of audio, and it's important that all the audio channels remain the way they are.

Quicktime Player 7 Pro doesn't seem to be able to let me do that. It always wants to crush everything into 2ch. I tried Compressor as well, but it doesn't seem to get along with DNxHD files either, because it exports files with the audio playing right at the beginning of the slate, knocking things way out of sync. (Another mystery I'd like to have solved.)

Any thoughts?

-

Dan Charrington
Supervisor, Non-Linear Technologies

MIJO
635 Queen St E. Toronto, ON
416-964-7539

MacPro 8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 10gb Ram, AJA Kona 3 SD/HD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Importing DNxHD Quicktimes - Audio Quirks
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:06:39 am

Try Compressor with audio set to passthrough?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]