FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDTV with two monitors for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd white
HDTV with two monitors for FCP
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:01:10 am

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I need to ask the question anyway because I can't seem to find an answer. Sorry for the redundancy. I have two monitors out of my Mac Pro. My company just built a new edit suite for my rig, and I'm going to be adding an HD TV to the wall for clients. My computer monitors are color calibrated and do fine for what I do. I'm assuming my HD TV will only be an edit reference for my clients. But, I have tried to use two graphics cards (suped up ones) before to get at least three monitors working, but it didn't work. I've thought about using a powered DVI splitter and just mirror my 2nd monitor which I use for preview only during editing. Any input on this? BTW, I also have a broadcast monitor that I use only for those few times I need to send a commercial out. 80% of our work is through the internet, burned to flash drive, or to a DVD. Any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: HDTV with two monitors for FCP
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:42:44 am

Feeds to an external monitor is best done with a proper interface card like Decklink, Kona, Matrox or MOTU. Cheapest might be basic Decklink or Matrox card.

Return to posts index

todd white
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:10:21 pm

I have a Matrox MXO2 LE that I use to capture Beta footage with. It has an HDMI out. I've hooked it up to an HDTV before but FCP didn't "see" it, or I couldn't find the setting for it. I'll try this again. Matrox wasn't much help. They just referred me to the online manual.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:28:36 pm

Well, you need to set the VIEW>VIDEO PLAYBACK to the setting that matches the footage you are working with...and then make sure that VIEW>EXTERNAL>ALL FRAMES is selected.

Come here first for tech support. Users of the software/hardware are better support than people in call centers.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:59:19 pm

[todd white] "'ve hooked it up to an HDTV before but FCP didn't "see" it,"

TV needs to be able to display 1920x1080

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:45:51 pm

[todd white] "I have a Matrox MXO2 LE that I use to capture Beta footage with. It has an HDMI out. I've hooked it up to an HDTV before but FCP didn't "see" it, or I couldn't find the setting for it. I'll try this again. Matrox wasn't much help. They just referred me to the online manual.
"

Todd,

HDMI monitoring on the MXO 2 LE works just fine.

It's blows my mind to hear that you bought it for $1000, tried it once, called Matrox once, and then just threw up your your hands in exasperation and gave up.

I promise you, this is not rocket science... The HDMI output on the LE is hot all the time, so if you're not seeing picture (and/or hearing sound) via HDMI, you need only connect just a few dots to determine what's wrong. It has to be one of the following:

1) faulty MXO 2 LE (doubt it)

2) faulty HDMI cable

3) HDTV input not set properly

4) wrong Matrox drivers

5) wrong settings in FCP

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

todd white
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:58:50 pm

David, thanks for the post. These are all things that we knew to check and will certainly check again. I'm sure we'll figure it out but just looking for input so that we don't try something totally unrelated. It wasn't really out of exasperation that we haven't pursued it further, just out of a lack of need for the purpose at the time. We had to tear down the edit suite and move to a different floor in our building about the time we got the equipment in while we underwent a remodel, and just decided to deal with it when we moved back in, which is now. I've read several of your posts on other subjects as well. They are very helpful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:15:03 pm

Thanks for your kind feedback Todd.

I'm confident that you'll be able to get the HDMI connection up and running, and you'll dig it when you do. You'll wish you had gotten it up and running earlier...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:53:20 am

CAPTURE CARD is what is needed. AJA...MATROX...DECKLINK. You need one of those, not a graphics card.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]