FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMFI exporting for pro tools (metadata question)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Lumsden
OMFI exporting for pro tools (metadata question)
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:29:57 pm

Heya,

I've synched a feature by putting down the vision and guide sound (where present) and synched up the sound files (Nagra & whatever...) using the clapper as the reference.

Then I grouped all the tracks together in the timeline, then pulled the synched sequence into the browser, to create a synched subclip. I've then called this subclip as per the scene, slate and take number.

When I put this new subclip back into a timeline, the names (on the tracks in the sequence) all refer to the vision filename. When I de-group the subclip in the timeline, I can right click and see that the sound tracks all link up to the original .wav's, and the vision back to the ProRes file. However, the sound tracks in the timeline will still retain the vision tracks filename in the timeline, even a reconnect media will not change this. But they will link to the .wav's with reveal in finder, and in item properties.

My question is this - when I create an OMFI to go to the Pro Tools op, will the OMFI file still retain the metadata so the OMFI will link to the original.wavs? The sound op has all the .wav's, no names have been changed, and the tracks in the synched subclips retain the metadata, linking the tracks to the .wavs.

Now, I have done this before (years ago...) and it worked fine. But the senior editor on this job has not done this before and is under the impression the OMFI's will not link to the .wavs.

Can anyone confirm this should not be a problem?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: OMFI exporting for pro tools (metadata question)
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:54:52 pm

What is happening is your footage is NESTING when you are cutting it into the sequence, and yes, this will be a HUGE problem when you go to export an OMF. Map OVERWRITE WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to F10, and INSERT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to F9...and then use those keys to put video from the Viewer to the timeline.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Lumsden
Re: OMFI exporting for pro tools (metadata question)
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:44:57 am

Sorry, not sure I understand you... F9 & 10 keys are allways mapped like that, or at least they are for me. Not sure why you mention it?

To create the OMFI, I put the new subclip into the sequence and export it as an OMF. My worry is that the Pro Tools op will not have the sound files they need due to the nesting/new subclip.

I've done a test (he's yet to reply) but I was wondering (as all metadata is intact) why this would cause a problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]