FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes422 sequence to Quicktime PAL .mov file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Sands
Apple ProRes422 sequence to Quicktime PAL .mov file
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:32:11 pm

I have been asked to deliver a short film as a PAL Quicktime .mov file. The HD 24p capture and timeline sequence is ProRes 422 (HQ).

This is a first for me. Where, what, how do I achieve this? Via Compressor? Or is there a QT conversion readily available? Please advise.

Many thanks.

Peter

MacBook Pro. OSX 10.6.6, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. FCP 6.0.6.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Apple ProRes422 sequence to Quicktime PAL .mov file
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:57:39 pm

[Peter Sands] "I have been asked to deliver a short film as a PAL Quicktime .mov file. The HD 24p capture and timeline sequence is ProRes 422 (HQ). "

That's nice. Now, what are you NOT telling us?

How will this be played back? What are the delivery specifications? What is the required codec of this PAL Quicktime movie file? Does this short film need to preserve the current running time, or can it run 4% longer? Is it HD or SD?

A little clarification, please.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter Sands
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:14:46 pm

Dave,

Thank you. I need to preserve the running time and would like to exhibit it at the highest resolution. I have inquired what actually plays the file for exhibition and will know shortly.

Delivery to the exhibitor will either be via DVD as a QT PAL file (requested) or same via FTP.

Thanks.

Peter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:31:17 pm

So your 23.98 HD sequence (1080? 720?) needs to be convert to a QT PAL (25fps) with the exact same running time? They need to give you better specs than "QT PAL." HD? SD? 1080? 720? 575? What EXACTLY?

Converting 24fps to 25fps without changing the duration will be VERY tricky. The best way will cost a bit of money...Terranex or Alchemist system. The other way will take a lot of time and tinkering on your end...Compressor and adjusting the FRAME CONTROLS until you export something that looks right. Do small 10 second tests until you do get it right.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Sands
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:43:03 pm

Shane,

Thanks. It is a 24p 1080 sequence. I should have mentioned that before. The exhibitors require

'...A high-resolution master copy of your film (mov, avi, mpg file etc. or Mini DV/HDV tape)....film must be in a PAL format and can either be submitted via an online link, where it can be downloaded or via post, on Mini DV/HDV Tape or Quicktime file on DVD...'

I have asked them for the exhibition specs but imagine that HD 1080 is the way to go. If going from 24p to 25p is a major headache; I can live with with the 4% difference.

Peter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:57:25 pm

If you use Cinema Tools to CONFORM the QT to 25fps, it's instantaneous. DUPLICATE the file first, as this is permanent. Then you need to adjust the pitch of the audio slightly to compensate. HOW? I've never done that, so dunno.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:03:46 pm

....and to correct an earlier mistake, a 23.976 file conformed to 25 will be 4.096% shorter in duration than it was originally, not longer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:31:35 pm

Without further information, I can only tell you a few things.
If you shot 1080 24p on a video camera, I hope you removed the 3:2 pulldown prior to editing to make proper 23.976 (aka 23.98) video.
If you shot 720 24p on a video camera, I hope it was actually shot at 720 24pN, which creates 23.976 video in-camera.
If you're certain the frame rate is 23.976, you may proceed to use Compressor to convert the frame rate to 25, using a custom ProRes HQ preset and frame controls.
Or, if you have deep pockets, you can take the file to a post house and have the frame rate converted via hardware, resulting in a better-looking image.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Peter Sands
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:32:05 pm

Dave, Shane,

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Peter Sands
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:56:17 pm

Dave, Shane,

Thank you again. I found Ken Stone's article at;

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor_3.5_basics_stone.html

I exported the timeline using Compressor and followed the Frame Rate changes in Inspector (Custom Settings) and, as a trial, converted it to DV-PAL playing at 25fps and, yes, its 4% shorter as expected.

The size is 1024 x 576, the quality is unimpaired and the file size is 2.75 GB. It took 6 hours for a 12 minute film. I am now going to attempt to take it through at ProRes 422 (HQ) to get the highest resolution. As Captain Oates said; 'I'm just going outside; I maybe a little while....'

Peter

MacBook Pro. OSX 10.6.6, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. FCP 6.0.6. Compressor 3.0.5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:30:35 pm

If you had followed Shane's advice about using Cinema Tools to conform a duplicate of the ProRes HQ file, the process would have taken minutes instead of hours.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]