FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm shooting a film in 720p. For scanned photos to use in FCP, what DPI must I use?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
I'm shooting a film in 720p. For scanned photos to use in FCP, what DPI must I use?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:20:00 am

I'm making a film in 30fps, 720p. I'm going to be scanning photos for the project to use in Final Cut Pro 7, the software I use for editing. What resolution should I scan on? I imagine past a certain point, it doesnt make a difference how detailed it is, and I dont want to do more detailed than necessary since it'll take a long time.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: I'm shooting a film in 720p. For scanned photos to use in FCP, what DPI must I use?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 11:42:37 am

Dpi doesn't matter with video, pixel size does.

For FCP, nothing over 4000x4000 pixels and 72dpi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I'm shooting a film in 720p. For scanned photos to use in FCP, what DPI must I use?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 2:20:49 pm

[Noam Osband] "I'm making a film in 30fps, 720p. I'm going to be scanning photos for the project to use in Final Cut Pro 7, the software I use for editing. What resolution should I scan on?"

Jeremy gave you FCP's maximum size in pixels for the pics. You need to do a little measurement to figure DPI for the scanner.

And to help determine that, it would help to know how you plan to use them. Static? It's easy. Movement? You need to determine how tight you want to get and work backwards.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2011 at 2:40:53 pm

Dpi isn't going to make a difference in video. Only pixel count.

Keep the scanner at 72DPI and a pixel count of no more than 4000x4000.

If you go over 4000x4000 FCP has a tendency to freak out. So you can scan over that pixel count, you will then adjust size later.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:09:33 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Dpi isn't going to make a difference in video. Only pixel count. "

True, but it DOES matter when setting up a scanner.
If you scan at 72 DPI, but you scan an 8x10 picture, you're going to get a picture that's 720 pixels wide. That's not enough horizontal pixels for 1280-pixel-wide video, n'est-ce pas?

In fact, this job may best be done in something like Motion. Here's why:

Let's say it's a picture of three Civil War generals, and you want to do a zoom into a tight shot of the middle guy.

So you measure the width of the intended tight shot, and discover it's 2 inches wide. You need it to be 1280 pixels wide at least. So a little arithmetic (1280/2=640) reveals that you have to scan the picture as 640 DPI at the very least.

Now you measure the wide shot you want on this picture, the 3-shot of the generals. You see that with desired space on the right and left, it's 8 inches wide. But after applying the arithmetic (8x640=5120), you see that it's too big for FCP, right?

Thus, you have a choice to make: forget about the zoom, or set the scanner to at least 640 DPI and do it in Motion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:24:54 pm

Hmm. I guess I could see that.

My scanner works in pixels so it doesn't matter much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:50:03 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "My scanner works in pixels so it doesn't matter much."

You must not be a big fan Ken Burns-style still picture animation. To get it to scan in the proper number of pixels, you'd still have to haul out a ruler and do some arithmetic to get the scan right. It can be a Right Royal Pain.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:53:08 pm

I guess I'm not following you. Yes, I scan it big if there are going to be moves on it. If for whatever reason I want to scan at a specific pixel size (therefore limiting what I can do) than I just scan @ 72DPI and the pixel size/crop that I want.

You know I was just reminded of this:

http://library.creativecow.net/biscardi_walter/BCM-FCP-Tip-4/1

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:31:15 pm

The only reason it's a big deal is if you want to do a big wide-to-tight Ken Burns-style zoom on a still... and do it in FCP with a 4096x4096 limit.

Since I do this kind of stuff in After Effects, with a 30,000x30,000 pixel limit, it's not a big deal for me, either.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:37:51 am

thanks for all the answers. this post has proven quite educational.

So, I'd like to scan at 4000x4000 pixels so I have room to zoom in if wanted.

I have a friend with this printer and I can use it: http://www.find-printers.com/printers/manufacturers/pos/brother_mfc-490cw

Can i do that with this printer? It only lists DPI in its specs, saying that it's scanning resolution is 1200x2400 dpi and the enhanced resolution is 19200x19200 dpi. Will this do?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:30:09 pm

...or you could take it Kinko's and let guys who scan stuff all the time handle the job for a couple of bucks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:36:30 pm

That should be plenty. Hopefully the software lets you work in pixels.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 28, 2011 at 4:58:30 pm

What software lets you work in pixels? I'm using Vuescan and I dont seem to have that option

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:28:07 pm

[Noam Osband] "What software lets you work in pixels? "

It's a networked printer/scanner/copier from HP that has it's own software.

You first do a preview scan, then setup the final scan with the crop/"aspect ratio" that you want in pixels.

It's called HP Scan.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]