FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import DV footage via V1u into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Brown
Import DV footage via V1u into FCP
on Aug 23, 2011 at 12:39:19 am

I have DV footage I want to import using a Sony HVR-V1u. It was recorded using a standard definition camcorder. FCP7 recognizes the camera but isn't allowing preview or import of the footage. Will I need to use a strictly std. def. camera to import this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Import DV footage via V1u into FCP
on Aug 23, 2011 at 2:24:11 pm

You have to make sure the camera's playback is set to SD and not HD. Then you have to log & capture using the NTSC DV easy setup. Or its PAL counterpart, depending what you shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Aug 23, 2011 at 2:42:46 pm

All settings appear correct. Camera indicates DVCAM format footage exporting as DV out to Final Cut - Capture preset is DV NTSC anamorphic, device control is FireWire NTSC. I've been working exclusively in solid state HD last couple years, so DV is rare. Final Cut recognizes & operates the camera playback just fine, the DV footage is visible on the camera's display, but FCP's Log & Capture gives a "preview disabled" message and error message that there is no video. I investigated threads discussing the "preview disabled" and nothing seemed relevant to this situation.

I suspect there could be an issue that the footage was captured on an exclusively standard definition camera rather than the V1u which records HDV as MPEG, but can't confirm if DV footage is also captured as MPEG. I can bring in a GL2 in a couple days if this isn't doable through the V1u.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:27:35 pm

I ask this again: did you double-check that the playback of this camera is set for Standard-Definition DV video, and NOT HD?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:37:53 pm

Yes, as I just indicated, the V1u is set to export DV and that is confirmed on the camera's display screen. The footage was recorded on a GL2, thus DV only.

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:46:50 pm

DV=standard definition, HDV=1440x1080 are the V1u options

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]