FORUMS: list search recent posts

960x720 question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Coyle
960x720 question
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:28:46 pm

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for a client that needed me to make some .mov files and mpeg files for a DVD ROM they are doing. I export from FC as a self contained mov and then compressed them with compressor. All my settings are set to maintain the aspect ratio (100% of width and height). I open in in my quicktime and its 16x9. Get info says 960x720, current size is 1280x720..

When client opens it its 4:3. I know that DVC PRO is 960x720 and FC up scales it to 1280x720, so is there something I should be doing when compressing to have it be 16:9 for him. He is putting these videos into power point and some other software programs that I am not familiar with.

Any help would be great. Also in the future should I set me FC sequence up as something besides DVCPRO? I normally just take the videos they send me and import them in to FC, if FC says that the settings of the clip don't match the sequence I then let FC change the sequence to match the clip. Should I set my clips up as Apple Pro Res?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 960x720 question
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:44:22 pm

You can use Compressor to make 1280x720 files in the codec of your choice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Coyle
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:50:10 pm

perfect. I thought there was something in the geometry page, but was not sure. I will check tonight and correct my droplets!

Thanks for the help...

Any suggestions on sequence settings in the future? Should I stay aways from DVCPRO codec for these projects and go with apple pro res?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:35:49 pm

DVCPro HD can't be changed from 960x720; it's integral to the codec, as far as I know. So that's a problem.

Even though it's a great codec, I don't know about ProRes 422, either. Most versions of quicktime can't read it -- you need FCP installed. So there's another problem.

I'd pick at different codec for the job.
H.264 is a good DELIVERY codec; don't use it if there is further production to be done to the clips.
I've also used Motion JPEG A at best quality and Photo JPEG at 95% for delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tim Coyle
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:44:16 pm

I was meaning more for my FC settings not final output. Normally for these clients I am just authoring DVDS for them so my output is all ready defined, this one project they just added the DVD ROM files to me.

I am looking to find what is the most universal settings for FC sequence. These videos are basically animations that we import to FC and then add some final audio too and export to DVDSP for authoring.

thanks for your insights.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:50:39 pm

Oh, now I get it. I use DVCPro HD 960x720 footage all the time. It's a very nice editing codec. I'd stick with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]