FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I convert 1080 24p footage to 1080 30p or vice versa so I can edit with both in the same sequence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Velez
How can I convert 1080 24p footage to 1080 30p or vice versa so I can edit with both in the same sequence?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:01:11 pm

Hi. I have some footage that is 1080 24p and some that is 1080 30p. My sequence setting right now is set to match the 24p footage. When I playback what I have on the timeline, the playback of all the 30p shots do not look like their playing smooth. Almost looks like the footage is kind of skipping. I know its because my sequence is currently set to match the 24p footage but I'm not sure if I need to convert the 30p footage to 24p or vice versa? How would I go about doing that and which one do I need to do? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Sean Cole
Re: How can I convert 1080 24p footage to 1080 30p or vice versa so I can edit with both in the same sequence?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:17:31 pm

You're 30fps footage is always going to look a bit choppy when playing it back on a 24fps timeline because it's going to be skipping frames or trying to blend them. It's never 100% perfect.

Well, I say that. There are ways around it but, depending on the style of footage, you can get pretty good results using a convertor with motion estimation or some kind of pixel flow calculation. In Compressor in the Frame Controls section (You may have to turn it on by clicking the little cog button) there is a group called Retiming Control . In that group change the Rate Conversion to 'Best (High Quality Motion Compensation)' and check the radio button that says 'so source frames play at ##.## fps'. The FPS are set in the Encoder settings.

Sean
Pi Digital

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
Re: How can I convert 1080 24p footage to 1080 30p or vice versa so I can edit with both in the same sequence?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:22:06 pm

Are you suggesting that I need to convert all of my 30p footage to 24p first, with compressor and then bring those shots back into my 24p sequence for the final export of the entire project?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:42:42 pm

Yes.
Or you can use Cinema Tools or AE.
Make a back up copy of footage first.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:44:20 pm

[Tony Velez] "Are you suggesting that I need to convert all of my 30p footage to 24p first, with compressor and then bring those shots back into my 24p sequence for the final export of the entire project?"

Absolutely. For FCP success, frame rates must match. You've probably heard the Apple marketing weasels say you can put different frame rates into the same timeline, but they never mention that it won't look good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:49:59 pm

I agree. What i ended up doing was using Cinema tools to conform the 30p raw footage files to 23.98fps to match the other footage and sequence. Worked perfectly. Then I just went back and re adjusted the cuts of the 30p shots that were already on the timeline. The 30p footage that I converted played back smoothly. Also made a backup of all the original footage just incase things did not work out right using cinema tools to conform. Thanks for everyone help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]