FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export settings to DVD (very long render times)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Harris
Export settings to DVD (very long render times)
on Aug 22, 2011 at 1:13:46 pm

Okay, so I have been using FCP quite a lot but never really exported HD footage on a long DVD.

I used a canon 60D/Canon vixia hf20 (I think) all of the footage was converted to pro-res before editing.
I have 3 sequences nested in my final timeline that is roughly an hour and twenty mins. 3-way cc and contrast are pretty much the only effects applied.
I'm running a MBP 2.5 GHZ core 2 duo 6 GB ram with a GeForce 8600M GT.

Rendering times for this project seem insane. I had all nested into the final sequence and wanted to export a final self contained file to convert for SD DVD. I clicked export it said something around 7 hours and I went to bed I woke up the next day (nine hours later) and it still said 5 hours left on the render and was not even half way done. I stopped it. what is the quickest way to render? (nothing was rendered yet, not fully anyway, I'm guessing this is why the estimate time was so off?)

A quick note none of the nested sequences were fully rendered
Is it quicker to render first then export to QT?
Is it quicker to render each sequence individually then render the final sequence (with the other sequences in it?)

I also read that it would be better to create a SD sequence in FC and bring the final sequence to there then export and compress. I did that and so far it says it will take 12 hours to render the SD sequence. Better than the HD sequence which said just to render (not export) was 20 hours. The sequence in SD has red on the timeline (needs render before playback, using unlimited RT) does this mean something is set wrong? or is this normal for moving HD footage to SD?
Is this how long it should take? 12 hours seems a bit high for an hour SD sequence and 20 is pretty long for HD footage. thats like 4 times slower than real time. I know my machine isnt the best and Ill have to wait...but I want to know what will be quickest. thanks in advance for any help.

Also I tried the SD workflow with a one min piece of my project and the DVD seemed very choppy, the motion seemed to be slightly stuttering, it may just be my eyes, but it seemed choppy. where as when I did the HD route I don't think it was, of course being stupid I did different sections so it wouldn't be a good comparison (the HD section was just talking heads type interview not much motion).

Pat Harris
http://www.CinematicDSLR.com

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
Re: Export settings to DVD (very long render times)
on Aug 22, 2011 at 1:38:52 pm

Also to be added the footage is all on a LaCie 500GB FW 800 external drive. Could that be the cause of such slow render times? I know it is slower than SATA but I'm not sure how much this matters for renders.

Pat Harris

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:16:57 pm

Export your FCP Sequence using "Current Settings"
Should not take more then a couple of minutes.

Drop that file into Compressor to make your DVD files.
Go to sleep.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:55:22 pm

Not if the edit is unrendered. More or less I am asking the fastest way to render. keep it full HD? or bring it into an SD sequence? and to render the nested sequences first before rendering the final sequence

Pat Harris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 3:10:31 pm

Put everything into ONE edit timeline if possible, do a Render All for video & audio, export a self-contained HD movie and use the file in Compressor to make mpeg2 & ac3 for DVD.
That's about as fast you're going to get.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Aug 22, 2011 at 6:39:08 pm

Thanks, Looks like It's going to be 11 hours just to render, even more to compress it later. Oh well.

Pat Harris

Return to posts index

David Butterfield
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:51:21 pm

I am having some problems getting a show out of FCP in that Compressor keeps failing the export Quicktime Error: 0 Meanwhile your reply on this thread brings up a question. If there are multiple formats on the timeline and you want the best quality for every clip, it seems going directly from the Sequence to M2 + aC3 is best because you wouldn't be converting to all one format and then compressing again. Doesn't FCP, on a successful export, go back to the original media and therefore save a generation loss for varying clips? OK, that was more than one question. Insights appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]