FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDVideo best setup for output to DVD and final wall projection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maria miranda
HDVideo best setup for output to DVD and final wall projection
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:23:51 am

I have taken some short videos with a CANON EOS60D still camera in video mode. The camera settings for movie recording were 1920 x1080 25 frames. I am in Australia - but the final projections will be in Korea.
The final output should be a DVD to be projected onto a surface/wall at an Art gallery in Korea...

My questions are to do with the next 3 steps.
1. Final Cut Pro set up? what is the best/appropriate setup to bring the video in? At present I've set the Audio/Video setup to HDV 1080 25p - which should match the camera settings. I hope.
2. Saving and exporting? Again what is the best/appropriate settings to export the video so that I can make a DVD in StudioPro 4?
Should I export as QuickTim Movie or Using QuickTime Conversion?
3. I have DVD StudioPro 4. and at present I'm having trouble importing my video assets. What is the best way to do this?
maria

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDVideo best setup for output to DVD and final wall projection
on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:49:40 am

[maria miranda] "1. Final Cut Pro set up? what is the best/appropriate setup to bring the video in? At present I've set the Audio/Video setup to HDV 1080 25p - which should match the camera settings. I hope."

The won't. That camera shoots H.264, not HDV. But H.264 isn't good for editing...you need to convert the footage to ProRes. For that you can use Log and Transfer, as I explain in this tutorial:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Or use Magic Bullet Grinder, or MPEG STREAMCLIP. But you must convert before you edit.

[maria miranda] "2. Saving and exporting? Again what is the best/appropriate settings to export the video so that I can make a DVD in StudioPro 4?"

Export a self contained QT movie...heck you can even make it a reference movie. Take that into Compressor, and use the DVD BEST QUALITY preset. Then take the result of that into DVD Studio Pro.

[maria miranda] "3. I have DVD StudioPro 4. and at present I'm having trouble importing my video assets. What is the best way to do this?"

Drag the resulting files made by Compressor into the ASSETS window...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:35:01 pm

I also recommend finding out what KIND of DVDs they play in Korea: NTSC or PAL? Does the DVD player accept either? it will make a big difference in the way you begin the project. For example, if it's NTSC-only, you may face frame rate conversion at some point.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

maria miranda
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:11:52 am

Thank-you for this. I'll follow your advice and let you know how it goes.
best
maria

Return to posts index

maria miranda
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:47:36 am

Hi Shane,
I've had a look at your video tutorial and still have a couple of questions. Not sure if I mentioned that I am using a Canon EOS 60D camera. I have imported the short movies from my camera to computer vie Image Transfer - and they appear as .mov files on my desktop.
After viewing your tutorial I went to the CAnon website but could not see the EOS movie plugin??
I understand that I have to convert my footage to ProRes... but I don't know how or when I do this in the Workflow.
I was able to open Log and Transfer in Final Cut Pro 7 - but the sprocket dropdown menu that you mentioned in the tutorial doesn't list the ProRes format?
I'm sorry but I seemed to have missed something. It's actually a lot more complicated than I'd realised.
Help.
thank-you
best
maria

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]