FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinema tools 59.94 to 29.97 slow motion conforming issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Wright
Cinema tools 59.94 to 29.97 slow motion conforming issue
on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:31:01 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm having an extremely peculiar problem reconforming FCP/Cinematools shot at 59.94 to slow motion. My company shoots national snowboard TV shows for a cable network. If there is any question of whether or not we might want slow motion and or sound we will shoot our Panasonic p2 cameras at 59.94 and we can retime in cinema tools or leave it alone and use it un-retimed at 29.97. This process normally works great for us. When I want to slow a clip down I'll duplicate it, put it in a new folder bring it into FCP and open it in cinema tools and it conform to 29.97. My only issue is none of the clips I try to retime will actually play back in slowmotion. And yes when I click the conform button it does say current rate 59.94.

The only thing I can explain this with is when the footage was being imported that in the log and transfer pref's that the box for Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate frames was checked.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

Jw

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Cinema tools 59.94 to 29.97 slow motion conforming issue
on Aug 21, 2011 at 9:18:49 am

[Jeff Wright] "...When I want to slow a clip down I'll duplicate it, put it in a new folder bring it into FCP and open it in cinema tools and it conform to 29.97. My only issue is none of the clips I try to retime will actually play back in slowmotion. And yes when I click the conform button it does say current rate 59.94. "

Jeff,
Duplicate the clips and conform them directly in CinemaTools.
Don't do it from inside FC.
Once you have conformed the clips, import them to FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Wright
on Aug 21, 2011 at 7:00:34 pm

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for getting back to me. I should have said this in my first post, I have tried it both ways. Doing it inside final cut as well as right clicking the actual clips and opening in cinema tools conforming to 29.97 and then bringing it back into FCP. Still not working.

Thanks!

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Wright
on Aug 21, 2011 at 7:09:12 pm

Here is the kicker, as an experiment I made a new 59.94 sequence brought a 59.94 clip into it and exported to current settings. I then opened it in cinema tools and retimed to 29.97 the exact way I have been doing it. It worked! slow motion! I can do this for each clip if I have to but would rather not. Any ideas whats giving me the problems?

Thanks in advance!!

jw

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:32:27 pm

Hi Jeff,
Wait a second.
What kind of 59.94 stuff are you talking about?
720p60 or 1080p60?
You sure is not 1080i60?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Wright
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:15:46 am

YES, I was skeptical at first as well. It doubles your data rate but you can shoot 720p at 59.94. You have to slow it down in cinema tools just like you would with a 7d or a 5d. You get sound but it doubles your data rate to about 14 mb/sec. It is super handy for doing what we do in the field when action is the first priority but you might miss a good soundbyte or natural audio. Your 180 shutter goes out the window but its less important to us than getting the slow mo and audio. If there are any other drawbacks I've yet to see them. If its a no brainer slow mo shot we'll shoot 60p or if its an interview we'll shoot 29.97. The company I work for has about 20+ shows to broadcast (cable) using this method.

http://www.fuel.tv/thestandardsnowboardshow/

I'm just trying to figure out why cinema tools is giving me grief.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]