FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO50 24p footage has interlace combing problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott Patterson
DVCPRO50 24p footage has interlace combing problems
on Aug 20, 2011 at 8:36:32 pm

Shot with the HVX, DVCpro50 at 24p setting. Imported into FCP 6. Dropped clip into new sequence, which autoformatted to the clip. The sequence is 29.97 with lower field order. The footage shows interlacing for 2 out of every 5 or 6 frames and looks pretty bad on the subjects lips and eyes. Did tons of searching and can't figure out the problem. Switched fields around, tried everything I could think of to no avail. QT exports look bad. If I choose de-interlace for the QT export it gets rid of the interlace problem, but the image itself degrades.
Also, in the Log & Transfer window I clicked the gear icon, went to preferences and checked “Remove Advance Pulldown and Duplicate Frames”. This didn't work either.
I tested shooting a 30p clip and I don't see any of the interlacing. I will go with 30p for now, but would love to be able to shoot 24p DVCPRO50 at some point. Any ideas??

thanks
scott

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DVCPRO50 24p footage has interlace combing problems
on Aug 20, 2011 at 10:05:15 pm

There is no problem. Your footage is 24p...at 29.97. And SD is an interlaced format. So those 24 frames are spread out in the 29.97 by mixing FIELDS. 2:3:3:2...means two full fields of one image, then three fields of the next one...so half of the field goes into the next frame, and the other field of that 29.97 frame is the NEXT 24p frame...so it is a mixture of two shots. Then the next frame is again 3 fields, then 2 for the full frame.

This is how 24fps is put to 29.97 without stuttering. THis is how film is telecined to 29.97...it is very normal. THe issue is that Quicktime doesn't like interlacing...and the Canvas sometimes looks odd. But if you had a capture card connected to the system, then to an external monitor that displayed interlacing, this would look normal. Because it is normal.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
Re: DVCPRO50 24p footage has interlace combing problems
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:02:03 am

thanks for the reply and explanation. Since this is just going out to flv and the combing effect is still there in the flv, then shooting 24p in DVCpro50 is useless for me. Not sure why 30p is not causing any problems but I'll have to go that route. Still feel like I should be able to shoot at 24p and be able to export QT's and flv's for viewing on the web without that nasty interlacing effect.

any other ideas out there before i give up on 24p in DVCpro HD for the web.
I'll test a DVD on a TV to see if that at least works.

scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]