FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCProHD vs. ProRes Proxy Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Dawson
DVCProHD vs. ProRes Proxy Aspect Ratio
on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:43:46 pm

I have some DVCProHD footage I converted to ProPresProxy for offline editing. The original footage (when opened in finder) says aspect ratio is 1280x180, but actual pixel ratio is 1888x1062. When transcoded with MPEG Streamclip to Proxy, the footage is actual 1280x1080. I did another transcoded pass forcing the ratio to 1888x1062. In the end, when the edit is complete, I will reconnect the footage to the original DVCProHD for final render and export.

What's the best way for handling this in FCP 7? Use the first pass of transcoded footage, or the footage forced to 1888x1062? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DVCProHD vs. ProRes Proxy Aspect Ratio
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:13:56 pm

DOn't do this. DVCPRO HD has a VERY low data rate...almost what ProRes Proxy is. So you are barely saving any space. And ProRes has a completely different aspect ratio than DVCPRO HD. Not to mention that doing the offline/online workflow using tools OUTSIDE of FCP makes this process very difficult, full of headache.

You said RECONNECT to the DVCPRO HD footage. Meaning you have it captured. Why not just edit that? That format never needed to be offlined/onlined. The data rate is so low.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:20:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Shane. I should have clarified. It's actually DVCProHD 50. The data rate (when opened in QuickTime) is over 110 mbits/sec.

I know I could edit natively with DVCProHD, but I thought editing might go faster if I offline it in Proxy. I'm editing on a 2.66 Ghz intel core i5 iMac.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 20, 2011 at 7:54:03 pm

Close QuickTime player and stop overthinking this or you will make huge mistakes that will be difficult to fix.

Your computer is fast enough to edit all flavors of DVCPRO including DVCPRO HD. Hell, an old G4 could do it.

By the way...you need to figure out what you are editing.

DVCPRO is SD and 25mb/s
DVCPRO 50 is also SD and is 50mb/s
DVCPRO HD is 100mb/s

There is no DVCPRO 50 HD

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Aug 20, 2011 at 8:32:10 pm

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. As I wrote in the original post, it's definitely DVCProHD. I didn't think there was a DVCProHD 50 (I normally edit HD DSLR footage). But the guy at my church who gave me the footage called it DVCProHD 50. As quickly as technology changes, I just figured it was some kind of special in-between format they were using.

I'll edit on the original footage and see how it goes.

Just for purposes of education and enlightenment though, what about my question of the different aspect ratios. If I did want to transcode to Proxy, would I just go with the original transcoded footage at 1280x1080?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 20, 2011 at 9:59:57 pm

YOu would do that...but you can't do that in FCP, as ProRes Proxy at 1280x1080 is VERY non-standard. ProRes..all flavors...is a FULL RASTER, full frame format. Even Proxy. You cannot use the Media manager to recompress to ProRes at 1280x1080. And really, the only way to do a GOOD offline/online is fully inside FCP using the Media Manager.

DVCPRO HD is THIN RASTER, or Anamorphic..and even moreso than normal. Normal anamorphic is 1440x1080. DVCPRO HD, to make it even lighter of a data rate, is 1280x1080.

Just edit the DVCPRO HD. As John said, it is VERY easy. I too did it on a G4 without any problems.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:26:45 pm

Thanks Shane for the reply. Much appreciated. Always appreciate the responsiveness and helpfulness of the COWmunity. :)

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]