FORUMS: list search recent posts

Markers: Create in browser, update timeline, vise versa

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Allen
Markers: Create in browser, update timeline, vise versa
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:15:42 pm

So I'm watching a long interview clip in the viewer and creating markers as I go. Then I put that long interview on the timeline to start trimming. I create another marker on the clip in the timeline, but it doesn't show that new marker in the browser. Or I create a new marker on the clip in the browser and it doesn't update the clip in the timeline.

I'm really anal about little details and I spend alot of time upfront properly organinzing and marking my clips. So it annoys me that once you put a clip on the timeline, it loses any correlation to itself in the browser regarding markers.

Is there any way to mark and update the "other" clip (browser/timeline) without having to manually create a new marker in the same place on the "other" clip? I hope this makes sense to somebody, haha!

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5 (10.0.2.4)
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Markers: Create in browser, update timeline, vise versa
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:44:50 pm

[Jeremy Allen] "Is there any way to mark and update the "other" clip (browser/timeline) without having to manually create a new marker in the same place on the "other" clip? I hope this makes sense to somebody, haha!"

Unfortunately, no. The correlation of the clips is lost between the browser and the timeline. You would have to mark the one in the browser, then re-edit back in to the timeline to refresh the new marker, or drag the timeline clip back in to the browser making a new "master clip".

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:18:41 pm

Thanks Jeremy, I was afraid that was the case, just hoping somebody else knew something that I didn't.

Doesn't it seem like you would want both clips updated when new markers are made in most situations? It would be nice to at least have the option.

I'm not really excited about moving to FCPX just yet, but I wonder if this issue has been addressed there.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5 (10.0.2.4)
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:25:46 pm

[Jeremy Allen] "Doesn't it seem like you would want both clips updated when new markers are made in most situations?"

I think you should have at least the option to update it, yes.

But FCP doesn't work that way, it treats the clips in the browser and timeline as separate, even though they are related. This means that if you put an effect on a clip in the timeline, it won't get put on the clip in the browser. It makes sense in that way.

[Jeremy Allen] "I'm not really excited about moving to FCPX just yet, but I wonder if this issue has been addressed there."

Not sure, I can check, but markers are way different in FCPx. I think you would get uses to keywords in this case, and not markers. They are more powerful, although some people are very adverse to FCPx's metadata structure. I, for one, welcome it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]