FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP & Green Screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Burton
FCP & Green Screen
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:55:34 pm

've been shooting with a Sony HV1U for 4 years. I'm setting up to do a green screen shoot here in our facility. I have a Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Zeon. 8 GB Ram. It's in our primary edit bay but can be moved if necessary into the proposed green screen area. I have a Matrox MX02 i/o board so I could imput (I think) HDMI direct from the HV1U into the Matrox. Will this work.. and is it that much better than just shooting on HDV Tape and capturing from there in to FCP?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP & Green Screen
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:15:22 pm

You bet.

HDV won't key well, so you should probably capture to ProRes using the MXO 2. I actually have an article about this here:

I wasn't using it for green screen, but sure would if I did. You could immediately check out the key ability right there on the set so you could make lighting changes if need be. Great way to capture for green screen work for sure.

Be sure to back up the media files, as they are your masters. But recording in 10 bit video in a 422 color space is a TON better than HDV's 8 bit 420 colorspace. 4 times better color resolution... making keys a lot easier.

Check out the keys using Motion's Primatte keyer if you don't have something else already in mind. It's better than FCP's keyer... though if you shoot it right even FCP's key works pretty well.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
Re: FCP & Green Screen
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:15:24 am

and if you have after effects use keylight to key. way better than anything in FCS.

Andrew Evans
Lake TV
iMac 2.5G Quad 8GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved