FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Transition Glitch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Welch
FCP Transition Glitch
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:17:34 pm

I've posted on this before and haven't found a definitive answer.

Lately I've been utilizing canon dslr's and transcoding h264 footage into prores 422(HQ) for my work in event videography. I've been having an issue whereby fcp repeats the last two frames of each transition, AFTER the transition. Here's an example clip I have posted:

http://www.vimeo.com/25875539

I had initially thought it was isolated to the nattress brand transition (hence the title of the clip) but later realized that it was happening for all video transitions.

My video clips & sequence all match using the ProRes 422(HQ) Codec, with a timebase of 23.976 (Timebase was automatically selected, I've already tried setting it to 23.98 and it made no difference).

Here are the troubleshooting step that I've already tried:

-Trashing Prefs using FCP rescue 6
-Creating New Project File and bringing the previous media in
-Copying the entire project to a new raid drive
-Using opacity nodes to create transitions
-Toggling between safe & unlimited RT settings

MBP 2.2 intel core 2 duo 4gb ram. Osx 10.5.6 FCP 6.x RRaid 6tb

The last time this happened, it seems like I was able to replace my pre-premade transitions with manual keyframe/node placement, and this did the trick. This time, all of my transitions (pre-made or manual node manipulation) work properly until I render, then they render out with the glitch on the FIRST & LAST frame(s) of the transitions. I've tried everything that I know to do, short of re-installing FCP & or OSX.

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

Adam Welch
Re: FCP Transition Glitch
on Aug 18, 2011 at 4:09:46 pm

Also, I've trashed render files & re-rendered, same problem persists

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

Adam Welch
on Aug 18, 2011 at 4:43:33 pm

I just brought the project onto a different machine, and the same problem persists.

I'm going to attempt to do a fresh transcode of the original video and see if anything changes

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

Adam Welch
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:04:31 pm

I did more troubleshooting today, and it seems that I have found the issue.

My workflow includes transcoding my .h264 files in mpegstreamclip using the prores 422 codec. For those of you whom don't know, mpegstreamclip has 2 options for the prores 422 codec, and ordered from top to bottom they are:

Prores 422(HQ)
(and)
Prores 422

Mpegstream clip does not delineate between the two options in their codec labeling, and this has been a source of some of my confusion. If you check your individual clip(s) attributes from within FCP (by scrolling across the browser window, and expanding the "compression" tab) you can see if you transcoded your clips with the HQ or standard version.

FCP is showing me that that the difference between clips converted at these two codecs is about 8mb/sec. [Prores 422(HQ) averages 22.0mb/sec while Prores 422 averages 14.1mb/sec] I can see no difference (visually) between the two clips (after rendering, played back from the timeline.

With this knowledge, I can now reproduce the problem using identical footage across multiple computers. For now, I will just use the ProRes 422 NON (HQ) version.

If anyone has more conclusive evidence I'd love the additional input! Hope this helps!

Adam

Adam Welch

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
on Oct 26, 2012 at 2:08:15 pm

I have the exact same problem happening and can't figure it out either. I did export my project using Export > Quicktime conversion > HDV 1080p30 and it looked fine. I also exported it to ProRes422 and had no problems either, but it is very annoying to see when editing.

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]