FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF workflow for Canon XF305 & FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Biercewicz
MXF workflow for Canon XF305 & FCP7
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:25:56 pm

I have a load of footage shot on Canon XF305 - as far as I know Canon XF utility was not used to capture from CF cards on location, the files were simply copied into folders straight from the cards. Adobe Premiere seems to recognise the MXFs but not FCP 7.

All I have is a number of user named folders (dated) containing numbered clip folders (e.g. AA0123), INDEX.MIF file and a JOURNAL folder (empty).

Inside the clip folders are four files, and to give you an example;

XML details;

<?xml version="1.0"?>CANON263049900009XF3051.0.0.0

Can anyone help me figure out how to get these clips into FCP7, without loss of quality - have already installed XF plugin from Canon's website and it doesn't seem to work.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF workflow for Canon XF305 & FCP7
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:56:33 pm

THis is the workflow for tapeless in FCP 7...

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

So, you downloaded and installed the LOG AND TRANSFER plugin from Canon?

Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:12:58 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply - yes I have downloaded and installed the log and transfer plugin - when I try to add one of the folders containing the MXF and other files, I'm presented with the following message;

"(folder name)" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

A quick update - just downloaded and installed Calibrated (Q) and am now able to import the MXF files straight into final cut. However, they seem to play OK for a few seconds, then playback freezes.

System information;

Apple imac
Mac OS X version 10.6.8
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Is the problem with playback memory / speed related do you think? I.e. is the machine fast enough to deal with native MXF editing?

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:26:37 pm

* sorry forgot to mention, also I get this error message;

'The following media files are not optimized for Final Cut Pro.'

'It is highly recommended that you either recapture the media or use the Media Manager to create new copies of the files to improve their performance for multi-stream playback'

I can't recapture as the CF cards have now been cleared - do you happen to know if creating new copies through Media Manager will help, without losing quality? (they need to be suitable for broadcast).

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:29:30 pm

Try 'offloader' from my site.
It can re-wrap the MXF to QT, and fcp should be able to work with it.
It is intended to work from camera originals, but you can also point to a folder on hard disk.
(The BBC uses these cams, i've added support on their request)

Get a free demo here:

And if you run into trouble, don't hesitate to contact me direct.

smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

alan gong
on Nov 2, 2011 at 2:01:50 pm

firstly u need to build a folder as the cf card does like this

then click log and transfer in FCP

ok u will find that all of them in a list like this and remember to click transfer

Return to posts index

juliet zhu
on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:15:41 am
Last Edited By juliet zhu on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:17:45 am

Use Canon XF Utility to download clips off your original media from a CF card and back up the clips in a unique folder based on the date and time of the xf browser.

Many users point that the process mentioned above is too complex to follow. Fortunately, i used a 3rd-party tool to rewrap Canon XF305 MXF to ProRes codec for FCP X. Very simple and easy to use. Great!

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 24, 2014 at 4:19:21 am

If you don't dnow how use this plug-in or this is not work for you. Use this iMixMXF to transfer your videos into Apple ProRes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved