FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going from 23.98 to 25fps - does Cinema Tools do a better job than FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Going from 23.98 to 25fps - does Cinema Tools do a better job than FCP?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:16:10 pm

I've got some 23.98 material I need to use in a 25fps project. Whenever I've done this before I've simply dropped the 23.98 footage into the 25fps timeline, and then gone through and removed the repeated frames to keep the motion smooth. I work in promos, which means all my cuts are typically short (3 seconds is a long time!) so there are no real sync issues involved.

If I conformed the 23.98 material to 25fps in Cinema Tools first, does that mean that the repeated frames would go away? CT just rewrites the timebase part of the file, it doesn't reprocess the video, is that correct?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Going from 23.98 to 25fps - does Cinema Tools do a better job than FCP?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:49:52 pm

CT just changes the speed the existing frames are played. It does not process the video or do any interpolation. So visually, it will be the same quality. It will affect the duration, and the pitch of any associated audio.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:58:17 pm

I'm just trying to understand the ultimate difference - if any - between conforming a 23.98 clip to 25fps in CT, and dropping the "raw" 23.98 clip into a 25fps FCP sequence.

If I do the latter, I get one repeated frame every second - which makes sense as being FCP's quick'n'dirty way of converting 23.98 to 25. It maintains the original speed, more or less, but at the expense of smooth motion.

If I go the CT route, I'm guessing that I'll get smooth motion with no repeated frames, but at the expense of the clip running 4% faster (which isn't really a problem in most circumstances)?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:18:28 pm

[Gareth Randall] " I'm guessing that I'll get smooth motion"
But the slow down is of just 4%. Visually you can't appreciate the difference.
The audio, as John wrote, may need some correction (I wouldn't care with ambience).
Do a test.
Conform only duplicated clips. there is not un-do o conform back.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]