Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Hi,
it's 6 months i'm working on a really complex project, and now suddenly it won't open.

I always "save as" a new file quite often, so to don't risk to have a corrupted project.

Still, i find myself in the situation of contemplating suicide.

I'm at version 125, but even if i try to open any not super old version of the project i get stuck around 35%-44%.

Won't open any autosave.

I tried uninstalling Magic Bullet Looks 1.4.3, since it became gradually more unreliable as i proceeded with my work on this specific project. Still, it won't open.
The plugin works fine on any other project.

Even trashing render files or preferences won't work as it usually did.

Any other project i'm working on opens without any issue.

I tried unmounting the hard drive and opening the project, still freezes without opening.

I corrected the permissions both on the Hard drive and on all the folders that Magic Bullet Looks could have issues with, but no results.

In the last days before the tragedy I had to change my 2 old video cards, since they were getting more and more unstable and had problems even playing the timeline, ( basically melted by the heat and the too much work they did in the last three years).

Now i have a

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
Displays:
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: CY83005JXMP
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

I had to update to Snow Leopard because of the new card.

Since when i switched card and OS, instead of getting back to normality,
I CAN"T EVEN OPEN THE PROJECT!

You can understand my frustration at this point.

The timeline is really big, about almost 3 hours.

Does any of you guys can save me from my desperation?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 project won't open - stuck at 35%
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:15:01 pm

Send me a copy of the project file. Be sure to compress it first... it won't email right otherwise. If I can open it, it's not the file... might send an autosave too.

Jerry
jlhofmann@me.com

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:11:21 am

Wow, thanks Jerry, i truly appreciate your help.

I just emailed you the project file, lemme know if you have any luck.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:44:53 am

Well the good news. It opens. But I'll bet you have a bad render file there, and it's possibly associated with the plugins you've got going there.

If you take them offline by putting them in another folder, your project file may open. You can try reconnecting them, but that may lose some of them in my experience. The project has 1700+ renders associated with it. Hate to have to re render though. Start and go to bed?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:15:28 pm

Hello Jerry,

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

You have no idea of the weight you took off my chest telling me you can open it!
I think it's the best thing anybody ever did for me.

I actually put all the render files on a folder and made the copy of my project file, as you taught me,
but still Final Cut will get stuck reading the project at 35%.

Does that mean i have a corrupted media file?

Trust me, at this point the perspective of re-rendering everything almost looks as the beatiful vacation I can't have, at least for this summer! :)

Jerry, again, i don't know how to thank you for your help, you are the best.

Thanks again for sharing your great knowledge.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:44:57 pm

2 yrs later...in case you guys see this, just wanted to say thanks to Jerry for putting the time into helping the rest of us. And in case anyone else runs into this problem...I simply trashed my render files and then project opened just fine. :) Hopefully it'll work for you too.

Cheers,

Adam Keyes

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:42:47 pm

Thanks Adam!

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

Wilson Stiner
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:10:29 am

Greetings,

I have the same issue with my project files not opening and have moved the plugins, but there has been no change. These project files opened just fine before and after waiting for my sound design to finish, something apparently changed. Please help!

Thank you,

Wilson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:52:43 pm

[Gian Franco Morini] "I had to update to Snow Leopard because of the new card."

Did you update Snow Leopard over the top of Leopard? If so, that's most likely your problem, and a clean install from the ground up of both the OS and FCS is the fix.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:19:54 am

Hello David,

thanks so much for your precious help.

yeah, you are absolutely right, that's the case, I updated to Snow Leopard on top of Leopard.

I will for sure try a clean install from the ground.

Thanks for giving me a new hope, I'm really about to jump from the Brooklyn Bridge.

I will do it as soon as possible and let you know if it did the trick.

Again, I have no words to thanks you guys, it's awesome to have such an amazing pool of experts giving you help.

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:23:30 pm

Dear Dave,

I'm now trying to see if I can solve the problem through some render or media files,
since Jerry gave me the great news that the project actually opens on his system! :)

Being your solution more radical, i will wait for a second to see if I can solve the issue that way, otherwise I will go for sure for the clean install from the ground, and then update you with the results!

Again, I'm blown away by your generosity and helpfulness.

You guys are really special people.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:46:12 pm

[Gian Franco Morini] "I'm now trying to see if I can solve the problem through some render or media files,
since Jerry gave me the great news that the project actually opens on his system! :)"

I think the project opens on Jerry's system simply because Jerry, like me, always does clean installs of software when upgrading.

The longer you do this the more inclined you will be to starting with a a clean installation 100% of the time. There are times when you can get away with something less, but those times you don't will more than make up for any time you will save.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:34:28 am

To in stall FCS from up, OS et all.. takes about 5 hours or so. After you backup... which can take a lot of time depending on how organized you are. A new disk added to a tower makes this a lot easier. Disk images of FCS 2009 install in about 30 minutes... they do come in handy!

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 22, 2011 at 3:16:18 am

OK guys,

thanks again for the precious suggestions.

since putting offline render or media files didn't do the trick,
i used the weekend to do a clean install from the ground and magically the project opened!

The problem is that if I re-install Magic Bullet Looks 1.4.3 and Mojo 1.0 still the Final Cut will get stuck at 35% and don't open again. :(

(Note, i didn't even install yet any other plugin I had on before, so I'm now sure the issue is connected to these two)

At this point I thought the problem was a compatibility issue between Snow Leopard and the Red Giant plugins, since I did not have the latest versions.
I did then upgrade and installed the Red Giant Magic Bullet Suite 11, which contains Looks 2.0 and Mojo 1.2,
but still IT WON'T OPEN! :((

I'm really getting desperate, I now run again out of options, and since the clips where the plugins are already applied look awesome, i would die inside at the idea of having to trash them and restart color correction from scratch! :(
would be six months of work down the toilet, except the edits.

The look i achieved is exactly the look i wanted for this project, i would feel terrible having to restart the process again using Color or something else.

Do you guys have any idea about what could be the issue at this point?

Maybe something connected to the CS5? (probably i say something stupid, but i really have no idea at this point of what the problem could be)

Thanks again for giving me a hand, I have no words to express how much I appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:59:24 am

ok, if I open the project with no Mojo and Looks installed,
i create a new project and i copy inside just a sequence from the old one,
then install the plugins and open the new project i created with just that part.....it opens! but while the Mojo settings are still there, the one from Looks disappear????

wow this thing is getting like the Twilight Zone.

probably i can export as video the parts of the old project where Looks and Mojo are already rendered, (this without the plugins installed yet)
then import them in the new project, and use them as reference for the clips that still need rendering,
to get back to the Looks settings I lost doing it,
but at least i'm not gonna lose all the color correction, just part of it.

It's gonna be a pain in the ass, but is better than losing everything.

Does anybody has an idea of why is doing this?

Even if I install the old versions of the plugins, still the Mojo settings are there, but the Looks settings are gone.

That's so weird!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:41:07 pm

Are the Looks plugins, and the Mojo drivers the correct ones for the OS you're running? Do check that out. Sounds like the drivers and/or the filters are fighting the OS..?

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

Gian Franco Morini
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:24:32 pm

Hey Jerry,

hope your weekend was good.

yeah! that's the same i thought, that's why i updated to Looks 2.0;
according to Red Giant's website the specs are:

"Apple Macintosh
Mac OSX 10.5.8 and later*
Mac Intel
2 GB of RAM
30 MB of Hard Drive space

*Updating from Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.5.2 or later will in most cases solve compatibility issues. Please update your operating system before contacting support."

My OSX is version 10.6.8 at the moment, and i have 4 GB of Ram, so I should be good!

And even if i install instead the old version of Looks, the 1.4.3 i had on before, still the settings does disappear!

How weird is that!?

Return to posts index

Kay Lo
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:22:15 am

Hello everyone,

I am having a similar type of problem of my own. I have been editing using FCP 7, and today when I opened FCP to continue my editing I encountered some problems. I was viewing some of my clips in the viewer window setting some ins and outs before putting them in the timeline. At about the 4th clip FCP started staling and i got the spinning color wheel. This kept occurring so I quit FCP. I re-opened FCP and somehow my computer ejected my hard drive so the media was offline. I reconnected my hard drive and then FCP said it was reading the project, it never went farther than 30-40% with that then suddenly loaded my cuts. My problem is my cuts loaded, but there is no video footage or sound. I am not sure what to do? Please advise.... I have been editing off of my external LaCie 7200 rpm 500GB and this project is the only thing on it. My scratch disk is also set to the drive. How do I get my project back, so I do not have to start over???

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]