FORUMS: list search recent posts

High-precision YUV and Graphics Card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devon Hansen
High-precision YUV and Graphics Card
on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:30:18 am

I'm using FCP 7 and have been getting a lot of color banding in my renders, even when rendering in 10-bit uncompressed. I tried to set my sequence to render in High-Precision YUV, and this does eliminate banding, but in return I get very glitchy, pixelated artifacts in random areas throughout the video. I assume this may have something to do with my GPU. I was wondering, if this is the case, what the graphics card requirements would be in order to get good High-Precision YUV rendering?

Here are my GPU specs:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3212
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

I'm using a 2007 17'' Macbook Pro. All and any help is much appreciated, I really gotta get rid of all this banding. Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: High-precision YUV and Graphics Card
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:18:52 am

Hi Devon,
The banding may be produced by the monitor.
You have 10b YUV, but you are displaying in just 8b RGB.
You need a 10b or CRT monitor.
rafel

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Devon Hansen
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:09:16 pm

Ah! I see, that makes sense. So, if I edit in HP YUV when using a CRT monitor, and do a final render, how best should I export it so that the banding is gone, and the artifacts won't show up when viewed by other people using LCD monitors? I'm intending to export for online streaming on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:25:01 pm

[Devon Hansen] "Ah! I see, that makes sense. So, if I edit in HP YUV when using a CRT monitor, and do a final render, how best should I export it so that the banding is gone, and the artifacts won't show up when viewed by other people using LCD monitors? I'm intending to export for online streaming on Vimeo."
The cleanest 10b/yuv picture can produce some banding when reduced to 8b/yuv, downsized or displayed on 8b monitors.
The solution: Adding some noise.
That will avoid (reduce) banding, but will degrade the picture.
Is worth?
Depends.
I care about banding on Vimeo when I get it on my 17"MBP or in other half decent monitor.
If I don't see banding on my MBP, I know other people may be getting it, but I wont't sacrifice much picture quality just to make sure that nobody will have banding.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]