FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 error message on startup

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Jacks
FCP 6 error message on startup
on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:58:44 pm

Hello,

The Problem: Final Cut Pro 6 will not open on my Macbook any longer.

I'm getting an error message when starting up Final Cut Pro 6 on my macbook. I have FCS2. I tried re-installing and the error still comes up. The error is: "Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the AvidAV1xCodec plugin."

Background: Everything was working fine until I tried to reinstall Snow Leopard due to my iTunes not working (which a OS X reinstall would fix). I tried to run an Archive and Install, but now FCP6 does not work. Also Compressor is not opening up for me either. Neither will MS Word or Excel.

I really need FCP to work again due to finishing a project. Live and learn - don't reboot systems while you're in the middle of a project. Did NOT think this would happen.

Any help?

Macbook laptop, running Snow Leopard v10.6.3, 2GHz intel core 2 duo

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: FCP 6 error message on startup
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:06:55 pm

I think you're hosed.
You should never do a reinstall, or OS upgrade on a system with pro-apps. You have to do a complete 'clean install' (search for how), and certainly never, never ever, without cloning your system first! Had you done that you could just pop in the clone drive and be back in business. Live and learn.
You may get lucky and be able to trash your prefs, and do permissions repair, and have that fix the problem. If not, you're probably looking at a complete reinstall from scratch.
Some folks on here have tried some utilities that claim to repair broken FCP systems, you might do a search and see what that is about, but I don't have any personal experience with these.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Steve Jacks
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:23:36 pm

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:17:20 am

Man thats a real buzzkill.
Forgot the fact you're on a MB. Not quite as easy to clone the drive as it would be on a tower. But still worth the effort to clone a working system before making changes.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Joaquín Mateo Morales
on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:29:10 pm

Steve
I have just had the same problem, because a similar cause ( I was exporting, and changed my OS hard Disk permissions at the same time),

How did you do? Did you have to reinstall OS?

jey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]