FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best NLE deal going

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
Best NLE deal going
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:37:54 pm

It has been suggested by several pros that we should not rely on one NLE system in our work. If you're looking to follow that reasoning, may I suggest what I consider to the best, current deal in professional NLEs: Media 100 Suite v2.

The normal price is $995. It's is on sale for $595.

The Suite includes Boris RED, an After Effects-like tool that does compositing, special effects, titling and transitions.

What makes this Suite especially sweet is the price. Normally, Boris RED sells for $995 by itself, and the Media 100 Suite sells for the same price, which in itself is a great deal-it's like getting Media 100 for free.

But at $595, Media 100 Suite v2 blows away any current upgrade or cross-grade deal. And it's open to everyone, regardless of your current NLE, or even if you do not have an NLE.

With Media 100, you can import FCP sequences via XML. You can also export Media 100 timelines to After Effects.

Check out the details at http://www.Media100.com and http://www borisfx.com (for more RED info).

Media 100 is a very solid, stable, capable and professional editor. You can try it for free by downloading the 14 day trial.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Best NLE deal going
on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:09:16 pm

But do you have access to a low loss codec like ProRes in Media 100?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:48:45 pm

ProRes is supported.

Kona, Matrox and Blackmagic support also.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 13, 2011 at 10:06:02 pm

Yes. Particularly if those codecs are already on your system.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 13, 2011 at 11:17:01 pm

But do you have access to a codec like ProRes

[Marcus Warren] "But at $595, Media 100 Suite v2 blows away any current upgrade or cross-grade deal. And it's open to everyone, regardless of your current NLE, or even if you do not have an NLE."

Just went and looked at the Media 100 site. It all looks very interesting until I got to the cost of support and upgrades. 600 dollars for a year of support, 700 dollars for a year of upgrades, and 900 dollars for a year of both. That is a deal breaker, especially the year of upgrades. This is nebulous at best. How many upgrades is that, and how often are they issued? And how beneficial are they?
IMO some level of support and updates/bug fixes should be included with the software at no charge. And the the purchase of upgrades should be a la carte so the purchaser has a chance to see if the update contains any real value.

Slightly OT, I see this was double posted in the FCP X forum. I wonder if the OP is a Media 100 employee, or VAR?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:25:49 pm

Sorry about the double post. No I am not a Boris employee or reseller. I do not receive any compensation.

Regarding the upgrade and support cost, I agree that they are "up there" but I have never paid for tech support. The Media 100 COW forum appears to be the official support conduit for M100 and it seems that everyone gets their questions answered there, free of charge. I have even emailed tech support and gotten help at no charge.

If you are interested in M100 I would encourage you to contact Boris FX and let them know that the upgrade prices and support prices are preventing you from making a purchase. If enough folks holler, maybe the prices will drop.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:32:08 am

[Scott Sheriff] "But do you have access to a codec like ProRes"

As has been noted on other forums, for $50 you can purchase Motion from the Apple App store. That gives you the ProRes codec for your machine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:44:24 am

I'm not entirely sure that I do follow the reasoning. Sure, if you have only one system and it breaks down your business has a problem, but having a second system on standby isn't the only option as a backup plan.

My "Plan B" is that I do regular backups and if my system goes down I take my project to a facility that I know and carry on working there. Of course that has a certain financial cost, but it means that I don't stop working while my system is being fixed.

Now that may not be the most appropriate plan for anyone else. I'm a freelancer and I own my own kit, FCP and Avid, so I can't afford to have a duplicate for both of those sitting around unused, but it means that using kit that lots of facilities also have does have some influence on my purchasing decisions (obviously productivity is higher on the list of priorities and how much am I going to earn out of it is more important than the initial purchase price, but lots of things count in coming to the decision - best doesn't always mean cheapest).

[And don't forget that when buying a system the hardware is a big cost, so don't assume that the price for the software on its own is much of a comparison between NLEs.]

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:33:30 pm

You are actually making the case for me. As you stated, you have two NLEs, FCP and Avid, so in that case you are not dependant on one manufacturer/supplier. That's is what is meant by having two "systems".

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:01:34 am

Thought I'd come and see what sort of thread Marcus had started here.

The problem with Media100, is that I love it, ^_^.

I don't love a lot of software, and I think that's why Media100 users can sometimes be a bit zealous on pointing it out as an option to people.

It's not some dodgy unknown though. It's been a pro app alongside Avid and FCP for some time. According to another thread on these forums, the original Final Cut, known as Key Grip "was slated to have been Media 100's Windows solution". See: http://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/8/397519

A little off subject, but I just discovered John Buck is working on a book about the history of video editing: http://timelinebook.tumblr.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]