FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 24 FPS to 30 FPS for broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bralver
Converting 24 FPS to 30 FPS for broadcast
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:25:33 pm

Hello folks,

I shot my commercial on a DSLR camera at 24 FPS.
The broadcast station wants it at 30. (29.98)

What is the proper workflow to convert it?

thanks,
S

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 24 FPS to 30 FPS for broadcast
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:43:08 pm

Do they want a tape or digital file? What format do they want EXACTLY? Must know info...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Bralver
on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:03:39 pm

Here is EXACTLY what they requested:

General FTP specs are as follows, while format specific requirements are listed below: Standard Definition (SD) or High Definition (HD).
• Total running time of your spot should be exactly 30 seconds and 00 frames. • All video should be 29.97 frames per second (FPS) and interlaced. • The field dominance parameter must correctly match your video interlacing. • No slate or color bars should be included with your movie.
• Audio levels should regularly peak at -12dBFS on the FCP internal audio meters during playback on your timeline. • Video must be “broadcast safe”: Using the internal FCP ‘Video Scopes’, 0% is black level and 100% is maximum white. Both YCbCr and RGB levels should fall within this range using the ‘Waveform’ and ‘RGB Parade’ panes. When utilizing external measurement devices, 7.5IRE is black level and 100IRE is maximum white in the analog realm, while in RGB, black should not fall below 16 (RGB) and whites shouldn’t exceed 235 (RGB).
When outputting your commercial in SD via Final Cut Pro, please use the settings below: • Export the sequence as a self-contained QuickTime movie in one of the following acceptable FCP default presets:
Uncompressed 10-Bit NTSC 48kHz (720x486) DV NTSC 48kHz (720x480) DV50 NTSC 48kHz (720x480)
• All graphic & text elements of importance should remain within SD Title/Safe area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area
When outputting your commercial in HD via Final Cut Pro, please use the settings below: • Export the sequence as a self-contained QuickTime movie using the FCP default preset: HDV 1080i60 (1440x1080) • All graphic & text elements of importance should remain within the HD Title/Safe area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 14, 2011 at 1:34:54 am

They want an HDV file? Really? That's odd. I'm used to ProRes.

Export your file as ProRes, then use Compressor to convert to the file sizes and types needed...and convert the frame rate as well. And in the FRAME controls part of the INSPECTOR, set all the options to BEST.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:40:11 am

You don't want to use "Best" for the Rate Conversion in the Frame Controls when just adding pulldown.

Actually, believe it or not, you want to use "Fastest". Compressor will add the proper pulldown to get to 29.97 using the fastest setting. Using Optical Flow (Best) for this can actually cause odd artifacts (and take 10 times longer).

For any resizing...by all means use "Better" or "Best".

Make sure you specify "Lower Field First" in "Output Fields" for SD, Upper for HD.

Return to posts index

Steve Bralver
on Aug 14, 2011 at 5:36:36 am

Thanks Shane. Thanks John.

This is helpful, but I've never actually used Compressor before. Is the workflow simple enough that you might be able to walk me through it?

thanks,
S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]