FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res File suddenly won't open - error - invalid atom

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stokes mcintyre
Pro Res File suddenly won't open - error - invalid atom
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:32:49 pm

Hi Everybody,

Suddenly, my macbook pro will not open Apple pro-res 4:2:2 HQ files that were originally acquired using the alexa. When I open the files, I get this message:

“An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie.”

Here’s my system: 2.53 GHz Macbook Pro Core i5, 4GB Ram. I have a mere 12gigs of space left on the internal HD.

Here are a few facts:

• I just upgraded to LION. I don’t think issue was happening before I upgraded to LION. The files have been fine through many edit sessions so they came off the Alexa in good condition.

• I was able to open the files just fine on another machine that was running Snow Leopard. This indicates to me the files are not corrupted and the drive the file lives on is not damaged.

• If the video file is less that 1Gig, it opens fine on my machine. If it’s greater than 1Gig, it gives me the “invalid public movie atom” message.

• Oddly, the only file I can open the file in is quicktime 10. I can open the file and play it. I cannot open the file in any other software including FCP 7, mpeg stream clip, compressor, quicktime pro 7.

• When I open the file in FCP 7, I just see white.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this issue? If it’s the LION upgrade, I hope I don’t have to go back to snow leopard to remedy this issue.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!
Stokes

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Pro Res File suddenly won't open - error - invalid atom
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:53:15 pm

My initial of Lion had some permissions problems that needed fixing and were causing odd behavior. Try a permissions repair using Disk Utility. May not help, bit it won't hurt.

Return to posts index

stokes mcintyre
on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:40:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and no joy.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:33:51 pm

What version of Quicktime is FCP 7 using? I have this problem and same message on one of my computers that runs OS 10.5 since Quicktime updated to v7.7 from v7.6.6.

My laptop runs OS 10.6 and FCP uses Quicktime 7.6.6 and the same files play fine.

I've found posts on other forums with the same problem. It's not a fix that's as simple as uninstall Quicktime 7.7 and reinstall 7.6 on the OS 10.5 machine. Apparently I need to do a system reinstall. Bought a new drive yesterday, will spend the weekend doing a clean install, thanks Apple but I'm sure it's doing something to improve your iTunes consumers experience.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

stokes mcintyre
on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:40:03 pm

I'm using quicktime 7.6.6
When I was running OS 10.6 these files played fine. Now they don't. I want be so quick to upgrade next time. This is seriously boning me because I need to color grade these files and they won't open.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 13, 2011 at 3:29:24 am

Do you have FCP X installed by any chance?

If you do, there is a secondary install (download from the internet) of a Pro Apps codec package, which will reinstall all the pro codecs, including Pro Res.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]