FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yellow exclamation mark - luminance/chroma

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anica Grobbelaar
Yellow exclamation mark - luminance/chroma
on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:17:25 am

I have a few hotspots on my actors heads where the light was set to bright.

I know the yellow exclamation mark indicates it's either the luminance or chroma that is a problem, but how do I know which it is and how do I fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Yellow exclamation mark - luminance/chroma
on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:34:18 pm

Open scopes to read data if you can't tell from taking a look at with naked eye.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:05:56 pm

Apply the 3-Way Color Corrector filter. Move the Whites slide control to the left a little. This should bring down your highlighted foreheads without effecting the rest of the picture. You should see the yellow alert icon go away. If needed, you can bring the Mids up a bit if your picture darkens to much from correcting the highlights.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:33:49 pm

Hi Anica,
No way to know if you have one or the other, except having a look to your own setting.

[Anica Grobbelaar] "I know the yellow exclamation mark indicates it's either the luminance or chroma that is a problem, but how do I know which it is and how do I fix it?"
That's a good question, because the truth is that NO ONE OF THE YELLOW MARKS its really indicates "Excess chroma"
Excess Luma, indicates exactly that (Excess luma), but "Excess Chroma" in fact indicates the Composite signal (Luma + Chroma) being off specs.
So, if you have "Excess Luma", you will always get "Excess Chroma", even if the Chroma levels are OK.

Then, the "Excess luma" indicator is useful, but the 'Chroma excess" no much.
For proper Chroma monitoring, use the Vectorscope.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Anica Grobbelaar
on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:37:52 pm

Thank you so much for the replies.

I will make use of the scopes and 3-way colour corrector to rectify this.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:52:43 pm

Anica:

Highlight the clip, go to top menus, Video Filters> Color Correction. You can use the 3-way color corrector as already mentioned. I wanted you to know that this may not look like it does anything, unless the clip you want to use it on is *selected" first.

Once you treat one shot like this, you can copy and paste the settings into other, similar clips to save time. There's also a little icon that looks to me kile someone's open hand, in the visual display panel of the 3-way, you can just drag and drop onto clips, or drag into your bin to save and apply to other footage thru more drag-and-drop, as a common starting point.

You can also cheat in a hurry, and use the "Broadcast Safe" filter instead of the 3-way. This is a less "pro" way to do it, because the Broadcast Safe filter just clamps or limits the high and low ends of the signal, it doesn't have as much nuance regarding midrange or overall color temperature as the 3-way. Also there is a difference of opinion on how close to FCC broadcast spec just the Broadcast Safe filter gets you.

Without starting a huge argument here, let's just agree to stipulate that the better way to go for accuracy is manually with the 3-way, while looking at your vector scope and wave form displays to make sure your luminance AND chroma is right on the money.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]