FORUMS: list search recent posts

Handling 16mm and HD footage in same sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anica Grobbelaar
Handling 16mm and HD footage in same sequence
on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:12:22 am

I am editing a short film that was shot on 16mm film (about 30%) and the rest in 1080i HD. I need to export the film to a SD PAL DVD that will be projected onto al large screen

I have a tapedeck at my disposal to capture the film's tape, but what settings in FCP 7 would be best for the capture? How do I handle the film and 1080i HD footage in my sequence?

I am new to creating mixed media workflows and would appreciate any advice regarding handling these two types of footage.

Much Appreciated

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
Re: Handling 16mm and HD footage in same sequence
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:20:25 pm

[Anica Grobbelaar] "I am editing a short film that was shot on 16mm film (about 30%) and the rest in 1080i HD."

What frame rates was it shot at?

[Anica Grobbelaar] "I have a tapedeck at my disposal to capture the film's tape,"

In what format has been 16mm transfered to the tape?

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Anica Grobbelaar
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:43:17 pm

Hi, thank you for the reply. We shot on 24fps. I would really appreciate some insight in how to make this work with the HD footage. Should I already down convert the HD to SD as I'm exporting to SD?

How do I make the frame rates compatible?

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:09:42 pm

Anica, it all depends on your frame rates,frame size and format/codecs.
So if you can tell

1.Which camera(XDCAM/HDV..) have you used to shoot HD 1080i? I don't think it will be 24 fps if it is '1080 i'

2. Are you transferring the 16mm to SD format or HD format, at what frame rate?

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Aug 13, 2011 at 3:38:10 pm

downconvert your HD footage to SD and work on a SD timeline so that all the footage will have the same format.

And if you are have the online process then, at the end of the edit, generate an edl- i guess here your work should end.

Now while doing the online confirmation, conformist will reconnect 16mm footage to your 16mm SD footage from tape and HD footage from XDCAM to downconverted (HD to SD) SD footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]