FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Mermelstein
Compressor Issue
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:58:17 am

So, here's what I'm doing:

- Creating a sequence of clips in AVID (no transitions, no filters).
- Exporting a QT reference movie using same as source.
- Bringing that QT reference movie into a FCP sequence (I have the Avid QT codec installed). The FCP computers are networked to the AVID.
- Adding a slate to the beginning of the FCP sequence.
- Sending the sequence to Compressor to make DVD files.

What's happening:

Anywhere from 3-15 minutes of the beginning of the .m2v file that is created when compressor is done is black. No picture. The original files being references on the networked AVID computer have not moved. They might have been copied to another folder, but not moved out of their original folder. Why is this happening?

Oh, here's something. It only happens on one FCP machine out of four, but it happens to be the most powerful: 2x Quad-Core 3 GHz Xeon w/ 16GB RAM.

Why is this happening on one machine? This machine is supposed to be dedicated to one project and I can't use it because I can't make DVD files from it.

Other info:
- The original source files are DNX 36 1080p 23.98
- Network speed is standard Gigabit Ethernet
- All FCP machines are running FCP7 on Snow Leopard with the latest Avid Codec for QT.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Compressor Issue
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:11:40 pm

I don't have an answer for why it's happening, but as an experiment you might try exporting a self-contained .mov form the Avid instead of an reference .mov just to see if it has any effect on the problem.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:12:21 pm

1 - Why not add the slate in Avid and make a self contained movie from Avid and send THAT to Compressor?

2 - Send to Compressor is always a wonky step, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Make a Self Contained movie in FCP and then send that to Compressor.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alex Mermelstein
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:58:22 pm

I deal with 8-10 50+ minute sequences every night. It would take way too long to export anything self-contained. And since this is 1080p footage, I'd run out of space VERY fast.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:14:04 pm

As Walter suggested, try adding slate, bars & tone in Avid, then export a reference .mov and bring it into Compressor directly, bypassing FCP completely. One less potential failure point in the chain...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]