FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online Data Backup for FCP??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Mead
Online Data Backup for FCP??
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:25:10 pm

I'm running FCP on a Mac Pro with three internal SATA drives. One is my program drive and the other two are for FCP projects, media files, etc. I should probably be running with some sort of external RAID, but I'll save that for another post. Right now I'm concerned with Data backup. I'm looking at WiebeTech products for local, bare-SATA backup. But, I also thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had success backing up FCP media and data through companies like Carbonite. They have unlimited data storage for one computer, but it seems to me that it would take FOREVER to back up 2TB of projects and media and 350GB of Program Disk data...especially while running in the background over a slow DSL connection. Anybody have any experience with this?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Online Data Backup for FCP??
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:16:01 pm

Online backup of media will be slow regardless of the speed of the connection. HUGE amounts of data to push. We use the WiebeTech solution and simply have a clone of each drive that lives off site. If you're a home based editor, open up a Bank Safe Deposit box and put the clones there so you at least have something that's offsite. Much faster using local systems than trying to do it over the internet.

Project files however could easily benefit from this and I'm exploring this as well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]