FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 1080 60p To apple Pro Res422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Citlalli Peña
Converting 1080 60p To apple Pro Res422
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:37:43 pm

I would like to know whet is the best converter for mts files. The one I was using has suddenly stopped working. I wont mention the name because it tripped the bad word filter last time and I really need my mesage to get through.

I am working with a panasonic HDC tm900 and was succesfullly converting my files to apple Pro Res422. (first I converted them to HQ, and then realizing the size problem, I reconverted everything to plain pro res422. The problem is that the last files that I tried to convert are not working. Before the result of the conversion was quicktime files that had a thumbnail image and I could preview in the finder, now after conversion I get these files with the quicktime icon (no preview) that the computer cant open. when I try to import them into final cut it wont let me and marks an error.

I dont know what could be wrong, I downloaded another converter from the same company with the same results. I thought maybe its a problem with importing so I re imported the files from my camera. It didnt work. Now I am testing with a different hard drive. as you can see I am desperate and can even figure out what the problem could be. Maybe its something in the camera? The video is perfect on the camera. But I need to delete it soon because I have a big event to film over the weekend.

I would really apreciate any help you can give me.

Citlalli

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 1080 60p To apple Pro Res422
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:58:49 pm

That format is a non-standard format. At 1080, the standard frame rate is 29.97fps...30fps. The only standard format that runs at 60p, 59.94fps, is 720p. There are no tapes that play 1080p60...there is no web delivery for 1080p60...there is no tapeless broadcast delivery for 1080p60, and BluRay doesn't do 1080p60.

The reason that format even exists is for shooting slow motion at 1080, rather than 720p. It is meant for slowing down to 30fps or 24fps for smooth slow motion. So really, it should only be used when shooting for slow motion, otherwise, shoot 1080i60 (that runs at 29.97fps) or 1080p24 (23.98).

Now, you can make a custom setting, or just use 1080i60 and every other frame will be removed. Oh, and you will need to convert the footage outside of FCP...it doesn't even see that format in Log and Transfer. ClipWrap2 will do it.

But again, since there is no way to deliver that frame size and frame rate, there really is no point in shooting it except for slow motion. Food for thought for future shoots.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Citlalli Peña
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:36:07 pm

Thanks Shane,

I am really getting an education here.

I dont think I have an 1080i60 option in my camera (panasonic tm 900) I can use either 1080 60p or AVCHD (HA1920,HG1920,HX1920,HE1920)which are 1920 x 1080 or i frame 960x540p. I am very unfamiliar with this but I did record also with HA1920 and although it was more convenient to use with FCP the quality i got with 1080 60p looks so much better, even the colors are brighter.

I see those 2 as being my only options quality wise.

I am converting with aunsoft converter. but i had some glitch in my workflow which was turning out the error I mentioned. It seems to have to do with the hard drive because I used another drive and downloaded everything again and it seems to be working. Or maybe its just mercury retrograde... Now I just need to check if it also works with the files on the memory of the camera. wish me luck.

Why would it happen that a hard drive would affect the ability to convert files?

Thanks again

Citlalli

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:39:37 pm

Hey Citlalli,

I use the same camera and clipwrap works great. The 60p footage looks significantly better, especially for shots with motion but is an annoying workflow delay.

If you want to use your 60p clips in a 30fps timeline, create a "droplet" in Compressor to change the frame rate. All 60 frames that you shot will still remain, but they will be played back over 2 seconds instead of one (30 frames per second = 60 frames over 2 seconds). So they play back in slow motion. Then you can change the speed of the clip in FCP to 200% for it to play back at regular speed.

If you have audio though, the frequency will be distorted even though the frames play back in real time.. which could probably be fixed but I don't know how. And if it looks blurry, I always uncheck the "frame-blending" box in the change speed options. Change speed options are under, Modify menu --> change speed.

Return to posts index

Pete Appleby
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:21:25 am

+1 for ClipWrap. I have the TM700, it works great. Had some fun using the 60p to go slow motion on my daughter's taekwondo exhibition.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:38:35 am

To play them at proper speed, the 60p frames should be interlaced by compressor of After Effects into 29.97i or 60i or whatever you want to call 30 fps interlaced. If FCP will just drop entire frames instead of interlacing. I don't like that look. It's missing temporal data.

If you just want to play back the 60p at 24p or 30p for slow motion, cinema tools will change the frame rate of the file without any recompression.

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:54:45 pm

So if I have 60p footage that is in half speed so that its 30fps (over 2 seconds), and then I change the speed to 200%, final cut will drop 30 of the frames? Makes sense I just wasn't aware.

Cinema tools is great. I've had 60p footage from the tm700 that I open in cinema tools from FCP7 and I'm not given the option to "conform". its just greyed out. Any idea why this is?

Also, If I want it to playback slower, can I use cinema tools to change it to 24 fps, and then keep it the same speed, but use compressor to output it as 30fps for a timeline? Sounds kind of dumb.. but is similar to taking 720p footage and upresing to 1080 in compressor. Possible?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]