FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video and Sound editing on separate computers...anyone with experience??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Zimmerman
Video and Sound editing on separate computers...anyone with experience??
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:57:42 pm

Equipment preface:
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
Soundtrack Pro 3.0.1
two (2) separate mac pros

Issue: For this project, the film editor is using the sound and music clips for some editing inspiration and in some cases, clips film according to where certain sound elements happen and vice versa. Due to deadlines coming up, we are trying to accelerate the post-pro process by processing/mixing the audio in soundtrack pro as we go. Rather than the more traditional workflow of doing audio work after the final cut is done, we are trying to work simultaneously. Using "send to soundtrack" in FCP, we are able to send any changed or revised audio to soundtrack for me (the audio guy) to work on. The problem however is going back the other way.....After processing the individual sound clips, I cannot figure out a way to bring them back into FCP individually and NOT as a mixdown. I should also mention, we are working on two separate mac pros.

Has anybody done this type of workflow before? If so any advice? Another thought is to sync the two machines together via smpte or MTC, however any timeline changes will have to be done manually on both ends....right?

The real question is, how do I get a revised audio sequence (individual tracks) back into FCP after working with it in soundtrack??

Any insight is much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Video and Sound editing on separate computers...anyone with experience??
on Aug 9, 2011 at 5:42:49 pm

Soundtrack will send back its mix, with the source clips dimmed (disabled) beneath on lower tracks.

The source clips will not necessarily "add up" to the mix, as Soundtrack uses sample accurate edits, track based effects and automation and effects that are not available in FCP.

You can use Soundtrack's conform feature to update mixes based on editorial changes. It examines the changes between two FCP sequences and creates a new Soundtrack session accordingly. It works surprisingly well, in my limited experience with it.

The workflow for all this is in the Soundtrack Pro help. No point to me copy/pasting it all from there for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]