FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 in FCP to stereo mix

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Probets
5.1 in FCP to stereo mix
on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:11:03 am

I have a question as I have been asked to mix a 5.1 animation to a iPhone and Apple TV. I have been supplied with the movie and the 6 channels of 5.1 audio already mixed.

In FCP is is just a case of choosing 5.1 monitoring (I don't have a 5.1 system), using the preset downmix, wiring the audio track to channel outputs and then exporting to compressor? Have I missed anything? I have read I do not need a LFE (channel 4) audio and should be missed out. Will FCP/Compressor automatically ignore this channel or do I need to delete the audio from this channel?

As the encoding will take a long time I hope I have the right process in mind.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 5.1 in FCP to stereo mix
on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:19:42 am

The formula for folding doew a 5.1 mix to stereo is to have FCP mix all tracks to a stereo output. Pan left hard left, right, hard right center to Left & Right with +3db. Left surround panned left and -3db and right surround to right -3db. You can mix a bit of sub in to the center, bearing in mind an iphone can use headphones with decent bass.

make your quicktime master with stereo audio and off to COmpressor for the rest.

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:14:14 pm

Thanks for that. I didn't consider the panning element as I would assume FCP will do that automatically as I have select 5.1 mixing preset? Thanks again

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 24, 2014 at 12:29:26 pm

Hello, Michael.

could you define "a bit" of Subs?
is there a standard?
this is for a quicktime destined to be viewed on a TV (ACS awards entry in fact)

thanks, as always

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved