FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online 5D ProRes (Proxy) Ref. QTs with Synced Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Parke
Online 5D ProRes (Proxy) Ref. QTs with Synced Audio
on Aug 9, 2011 at 7:08:40 am

The title alone says it all. I started cleaning up a short film for a neighbor that was 80% cut an needed some cleaning up. Here's the workflow I can see form the original editor:

• transcoded all the files from the 5D using compressor (did not transfer from the cards with the folder structure intact and wiped the original cards)
  • Used Pluraleyes to sync sound to the H4N
  • Created REF QTs for the synced audio/video clips
  • cut the piece.

Now, I know the fact that the footage was transcoded using compressor and not L&T means I am in for a strange workflow and to help a neighbor out basically for free, I continued cutting in that workflow until it was complete. Now I want to send it to compressor and I feel like I am being "Incepted" with the nested sequences and reference QT files all over the place. Is my best workflow from here to make an EDL with the files (which ARE at least named correctly) and transcode just those clips and audio tracks manually?

Let me know if anyone has any bright ideas on this one. Thanks all! I am excited as this is my first real tech-support query here on CC. Long-time reader, first-time writer, I suppose! Thanks again!

David Parke
Assistant Editor
http://www.dparke.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Online 5D ProRes (Proxy) Ref. QTs with Synced Audio
on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:22:36 am

How can you transcode anything if the original files were wiped? You said that they "transcoded all the files from the 5D using compressor (did not transfer from the cards with the folder structure intact and wiped the original cards)" That, to me, means they transcoded the files on the cards to ProRes (which one? You don't say) and then erased the cards. That indicates that the files you have are THE ONLY files. Hopefully they are master grade (ProRes LT, 422 or HQ).

If they are master quality, then nothing needs to be done. Even if you feel you are being "incepted," the files are the quality they are going to be. Delete the renders, render again if you want, but the result will be the same.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:18:04 am

Shane:

First, thanks for the response. Sorry i was unclear. I have the original h.264s but the folder structured from the original CF cards were not intact so i will have to do a manual re-compression in compressor to ProRes 422 instead of the ProRes (Proxy) files i was given in his 80% edited sequence / project.

My question was after finishing the cut with the workflow i was given, i now have a sequence with reference qt files made from the h4n files for audio (lav, boom, etc) and the transcoded prores proxy files. Is the best workflow at the point to prep for color to transcode ALL of the h264 masters and recut shot by shot or is there a piece i am missing? The reference qt files are where i feel incepted and i have no choice but to lay-over the newly transcoded footage and audio.

Hope that starts to shed some light. Thanks for the response, Shane.

David Parke
Assistant Editor

Return to posts index

Jack Allred
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:10:50 pm

David,

I have the same issue here in fcp7. What did you ultimately do? Any advice for me?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:37:55 pm

I overcut everything in the end and have COMPLETELY changed my workflow since. I never use Pluraleyes -- good for long single takes and not narrative workflows IMO. I am much faster syncing with markers and in-points.

That said, find yourself another hard drive, transcode everything to the codec you want to finish in, and overcut. Use clip names and a calculator to find exact in-points. In some places, I had to take the V2 to 50% opacity to be sure things were timed correctly. Hope this helps and NEVER do this again. Great on paper, terrible in execution.

Best of luck. Let me know how it goes!

David Parke
Assistant Editor

Return to posts index

Jack Allred
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:40:21 am

Thanks David.

Quick followup question: What do you mean by "overcut"?

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:42:38 am

You will reference the original cut shot by shot and pay in the original footage -- NOT the reference media. And you have to do this shot by shot. Best practices is to do it on V2 so you can compare the shots easily.

David Parke
Assistant Editor

Return to posts index

Jack Allred
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:50:10 am

OMG!

Thanks again David. I'll update again in 4 months.

Best,

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:36:01 am

I hear ya. Sorry there's no easier fix -- that I found, anyway.

David Parke
Assistant Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]