FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOTION 5 and COMPRESSOR 4 only?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
MOTION 5 and COMPRESSOR 4 only?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:35:22 pm

Can I buy/use MOTION 5 and Compressor 4 as stand alone apps along side FCP 7.0.3, ie create GFX in Motion, export them as QT movs, import those into FCP 7 and/or COMPRESSOR 4? Any advantage to buying MO 5 and COMP 4 over MO 4 and COMP 3.5 if not using FCP X?

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MOTION 5 and COMPRESSOR 4 only?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:42:43 pm

I'd stick with what you have. I hear that Motion 5 is missing many features that Motion 4 had (gee, what a shock)...not sure what those are, as I don't use it. But I can find out. Plus it doesn't offer anything new. And Compressor 4 doesn't really tout anything new either.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:25:02 pm

Well, that's a shane...
:)

(Thanks for info Shane)

You know this whole FCP X, Motion 5, etc debacle that Apple has thrusted on the pro editing world just didn't have to occur - could've simply hired a few experienced pro editors, they tell the code monkeys what we want and need, code guys add a few suggestions, editors/facilities give more feedback, Apple takes it all on board (yes, along with their business considerations as well, but not just exclusively) - delivers best editing tools out there.

But that's not how nor where Apple wants to be now...(Adobe/Avid same)...why can we say this?

Where's the ability to use touch screen (and appropriate monitors) with voice command simultaneously to edit, where's the ability to edit seamlessly any kind of footage on one timeline from SD to 6K, with the app itself doing all the figuring out how to adjust and make work the different frame rates, formats, etc, and just making it "work" (if we so choose that automated way)? Where's the ability to make/burn blurays menus and multi-tracks straight from a timeline? In other words, real paradigm shifts, more what a human actually really wants ultimately, not just a convenient way of editing given the state of the hard/software capabilities.

After more than 20 years of NLE we should now be able to draw and/or highlight a section of footage in canvas (viewer, whatever one wants to call it) and realtime draw or paste or write on the shot, maybe say the word "Track" out loud and have it automatically track the text/item to whatever we want in the shot and match it real time - yes I know the hardware has to be there first, but after two decades we are still not anywhere near what a person really and truly wants in an editing system. And there are so many other items that aren't in any editing packages out there....when there COULD be.

It's at least 20 years away from having even a remotely "jaw-dropping" anything as regards to editing... wish APPLE would've asked me what latest FCP should be like (as a matter of fact I actually did email Steve J in early 2011 about all this, so who knows).

But now they're acting as if FCP X is really a version 1 app with tons of years to come before it even brings it up to speed with features it took FCP 7 years to offer, if in fact FCPX will ever offer those things.

Funny, never intended to say anything, but after months of observing this FCPX and MO 5, COMP 4 thing, just had to exhale my 2 cents...maybe 3 cents actually.

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:38:44 pm

Motion 5:

Can only can open one project at a time - used to be able to open multiple and grab stuff from one and toss it into another.

Can't break up the user interface.

Lower performance.

Missing Vectorize, Edge Work, and Movement Blur plugins.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:54:32 pm

Voice command? Seriously? That's what editors have been wanting? This is the first I've heard of it. Apple is making strides in that area for the iPhone and pad I hear. But I don't see it happening for video editing.

You'll probably get your wish with touch screens. The new FCP X seems poised to work well on an iPad. There are rumors to that extent as well. I can see it, sure. Probably the REAL reason behind the interface redesign with magnetic timeline and such.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:19:55 pm

In other words, only when the editing gear (read hard/software) finally becomes as intuitive and simple as an extension of your thoughts, and when it actually learns how you work and not visa versa, then maybe someone could say "jaw-dropping" - until that time, there is nothing to get excited about re: hard/software.

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]