FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Frame count

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Goodman
FCP Frame count
on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:10:14 pm

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

I haven't actually checked this in Avid yet so it may just be a case of ignorant user as opposed to a FCP-specific thing.

1920x1080 25P project.
I mark one second of slug in the viewer (I do this according to the timecode window top right of the viewer - 00:00:01:00, but according tot he timecode window top left of the viewer, in-out is 00:00:01:01)
Insert it at the beginning of timeline.
Select it and hit Cmd-J and the window shows it as Duration: 00:00:01:01

So that's 26 frames, which is incorrect.

If I mark in to out on the slug (go to start of slug clip, move playhead to end of clip - so that the highlight is on the last frame of the clip and not the following frame) the canvas tells me in-out is 00:00:01:01.

The timeline shows 01:00:01:00.

I'm incredibly confused. What frame should my program start on and end of for say a 30-second spot, while still retaining the one second of slug at the start (not for tape playout or anything, I just like to start a timeline with slug).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP Frame count
on Aug 7, 2011 at 11:45:22 pm

Marking the out frame at 1:00 means the shot goes to the end of the marked frame so you get the frame you put the out marker on. That is why your duration is +1 frame.

This is the same behaviour as most NLEs that I have used and was also the case in the old days of tape editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]