FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to convert 29.97fps rate to 25fps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Banks
How to convert 29.97fps rate to 25fps?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:15:12 am

Seriously need some advice.

I am working on a film that has been shot using two different frame rates ( don't ask but someones in trouble )

The main footage was filmed on a Panasonic AF 101 and once imported into Final Cut I am working with files

1920 x 1080
25 fps
Apple Pro Res 422 HQ
data rate - 27.7 MB
Alpha - none

No heres the problem , I have lots of B roll footage that was shot on a Sony DSLR and that footage is 29.97 FPS , obviously this just looks wrong when I try to use it in the same sequence as the Af101 footage.

I have now spent the best part of a day downloading different programs but i'll be honest I dont really know what Im doing, Iv'e tried MTS convertors, Compressor and JES Deinterlacer. Nothing appears to be working for me, either the footage still looks jumpy or not as sharp as it should be.

The best result has been using JES but the problem here is I have over 140 files that need changing and JES will only allow you to add one at a time.

I am hoping that there is a solution to this and it's just a simple case of me not knowing or understanding what Im doing

Please can anybody help me out here ? im pulling my hair out !

Return to posts index

John Kaley
Re: How to convert 29.97fps rate to 25fps?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:52:40 pm

Do you mind if the resulting footage has a slight slo-mo effect to it? Does sync-sound matter? Is the main project interlaced? Does the Sony footage have interlacing? If the answer to all questions is no, you can conform the footage with these methods:

Using Compressor:
In the video settings tab, select the codec (ProRes I hope) and change the frame rate to 25.
In the Frame Controls tab at the bottom select Rate Conversion/Best.
Click the very bottom button that says, "so source frames play at 25"
Output at 100% of source and yer good to go.

In Cinema Tools:
Open the clip in Cinema Tools
At the bottom right of the viewer, select "Conform"
Select 25
Hit "Conform"
WARNING: This will not make a copy, but will alter your clip.
This will also resample your audio to a sample rate other than 48 khz. You either have to delete the audio track or resample the audio in Soundtrack Pro to 48khz and marry it back.

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:10:34 am

john.. in this scenario what if answer t your questions is 'YES'. I interested to know how to deal with the synced sound when you have to convert footage from 29.97fps to 25fps.
What is the best method to work around the sound when dealing with the frame conversion?

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:40:24 pm

After either method, the sound will be in sync, but slowed down. You can open the audio from these movies in Soundtrack Pro and resample the audio to 48khz, then do a pitch shift (Process menu/Effects/Pitch/Pitch Shifter II). Set the mix to 100% and the Semi tones to around 3.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49:04 pm

Just a slight correction: the audio fixing only applies if you used the Cinema Tools option. Compressor will vari-speed the audio for you while keeping the correct sample rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]