FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP crashes all the time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Theys
FCP crashes all the time
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:35:45 pm

I have a Mac 10.6.4, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20 Gb 1066 MHz DDR3, with FCP 7.0; and doing a first editing since a couple of months now with clips in HD 1080P Apple ProRes 4444 (on a 0 RAID of 2 HDs).
The first weeks I didn't have any problems, just 1 crash every couple of days. But now FCP is crashing ALL THE TIME, every 5-10 minutes. I have no idea what the reason could be. It even crashes half of the times just after opening the project. During the editing it seems as it builds up its problems. When I scroll over my clips, after a few minutes the Canvas viewer starts to flip: one frame it shows correct, the next frame is black or a frame from a few seconds before, or a frame from a clip on a layer below, etc. Short after, the Canvas becomes a total white window - if it didn't crash before already. Another strange thing: when at such moments I leave FCP (e.g. to open a window in finder, searching for a new clip) and when I return to FCP, the problem is gone - and then it returns after a minute or two. In any case it crashes after working for like 10 minutes. I've put Playback Video Quality on Low but that doesn't change the problem.

Any idea?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP crashes all the time
on Aug 7, 2011 at 6:03:49 pm

Edit in ProRes or get a very high performance 8 drive minimum RAID.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Frank Theys
on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:05:46 am

Hi steve,

Thanks for the reply. However I don't think it has to do with the performance of my computer. I edit in ProRes; I don't think an 8 RAID will help. FCP is just crashing all the time no matter what I do. It even crashes just by itself. When i leave the room for 5 minutes it is crashed guaranteed by the time I come back.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:25:04 pm

ProRes 4444 codec for most work is unnecessary overhead. I would media manage down to ProRes 422 (not HQ). Also repair permissions with the disk utility. If you have Disk Warrior rebuild your drives. If not, DW is worth every penny.

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Aug 10, 2011 at 1:37:20 am

Trash Preferences. If you don't know how to do that, then grab Digital Rebellions Pref Manager. It's free. After you trash the pref's you'll have to completely reset FCP, but it is for the better.

Also, until issue is resolved don't run anything other than FCP. If you system is more stable w/ only FCP running, then launch 1 of the apps that you usually have running while editing at a time, giving each app an hour or so to do any "damage" that it may or may not cause until you figure out which combo is upsetting your system.

You could also be running into a storage issue.... rendering or autosaving to the boot drive can cause those types of problems.

Though based on your description of the Canvas, I'm going to guess preferences.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved