FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen Jagged Lines, seems worse this time.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
Green Screen Jagged Lines, seems worse this time.
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:48:26 pm

Hey guys and gals, before I waste your time.. I typed in Chroma, then Green Screen and could not find any basic tutorials, can somebody provide a link?

All i have to work with at the office is FCP7, and Motion 4. No Boris or any other outside programs I've seen others use.

I've uploaded 2 short clips, one with the final composite, and one with the raw footage. The more I work with the settings inside the key, the worse the jagged lines get.

Odd thing is , I green screened a dragon puppet months ago that had every color of the rainbow in it. I had a better time keying that than I am this guy with no colors of green anywhere on him.

The screen is a cloth screen, there were a few folds at the top, but it's still lit up green enough where it shouldn't be doing this jagged stuff on the side.

I used each key filter alone. Then mixed some. By now I've forgotten the combos I've used.

Source

Final

Thanks for any input,
Vinnie

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Green Screen Jagged Lines, seems worse this time.
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:03:14 pm

To save the footage you currently have, pull the Key in Motion. It has a much better keyer than stock FCP.

And I have to tell you: that's among the worst jobs of lighting for chroma key I've ever seen. The inconsistent lighting on the background is just awful. The subject is just too darn close to the background, so you get a ton of green spill. And get the wrinkles out of that fabric! Geez, it only takes five minutes to do it!

I STRONGLY recommend that you google phrases like "lighting for green screen", "lighting for blue screen", "lighting for chroma key" etc. to get an idea of how to do it. You can save yourself a boatload of time in post just by brushing up on your lighting and staging techniques.

One simple solution is to shoot outside. Mr. Sun can be your friend.

And you can also learn a lot just from the freebie stuff found here:
http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_index.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Aug 5, 2011 at 7:43:30 pm

Thanks Mr Laronde,

Power issues in the city basement were an issue causing us to rush before breakers kept going out.

I knew about pulling him away from the screen, I thought he was far enough from it to avoid the spill, also had a back light on him.

Then the breakers would fail. We had about 1 minute each time we got the basement breakers on, but they still want me to do this. So I was rushed and flustered (Wed afternoon). On top of that, that guy is another city employee with a schedule of his own he had to get back to.

Gonna iron that screen (they basically threw on my floor in the office this weekend). Retape him this Monday, but this time I have a denim backdrop on stand by. Tape him once against the ironed green screen, then gonna move him over to the denim backdrop and just tape him against that.

It's 111 in Texas, taking all this outside will make the other city employees frown and shake their head at me.

Thing that irritates me is I've seen backgrounds that were just as wrinkeld, but even lit worse and they they were able to key just fine.

I keyed a dragon puppet here against a purple , picnic table cover, backdrop since that was the only color not on him and it worked fine here:

For the western dude, I used Primate in Motion 4.. followed FinalCutKing's steps on youtube, step by step.. same jagged outline issues. After I thinned and feathered the jagged lines they just looked like fuzzy jagged lines.

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:33:33 pm

I'm going to guess you weren't under quite as much pressure when you shot that dragon. Consequently, you got your i's dotted and t's crossed.

If you need to, get some really long extensions so you can run the lights off other circuits.

And y'know, I'm a little gun-shy about YouTube tutorials. They're kind of like potato salad left too long in the sun: "Go ahead, have some, it's good!" They don't come with credentials.

I'd prefer to get MY information from the horse's mouth:
http://www.digitalanarchy.com/primatte/tutes.html

...unless, of course, the horse in question happens to post its own youtube tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXW4DgLOplE
Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:17:12 pm

Mr LaRonde

Thanks again, I laughed out loud at the potato salad analogy.

And you're right. I was working with firemen of all people doing the Dusty the Dragon PSA, who were actually invested into the project. So we were able to treat the project with more respect (and less wrinkles). We were also in a better room where light just spilled every where, like a soap opera set. So color bouncing back onto the multi-colored dragon from the screen wasn't an issue. They also understood breakers better :)

At the moment I have some management who are some great people, but don't really understand production which causes irritation (that contrast). "Handle it Handle it.." should be their motto. They think it's as quick & easy as pushing a button, then printing out an excel spread sheet (no matter how many times you tell them it's not). They ask for these PSAs a few days to a week in advance, with the lack of a production environment, when I've already got tons of other projects.. and the result is a basement room under the offices, really bad breakers, broken lights, and a wrinkled green screen. I told them we need to find a huge press to iron it out.

Thanks again for the patience, and for that link that I'll book mark. I think you posted it to one of my threads before I just lost track of it.

Vinnie
---

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02:05 pm

My favorite new production tools for Green Screening are spring clamps (get 10 or 12) from the hardware store to pull the cloth tight where needed and the best is Downy Wrinkle Remover (I find it at Target). Set up the cloth, pull it tight the best you can with clamps and sandbags, then spray on the Wrinkle Remover. Run your hand over the wrinkled areas you just sprayed and in a about five minutes it's as flat as a board. No ironing! This stuff is a production miracle in a bottle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]