FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: MP4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melaku Zenebe
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:06:23 am

I have a load of mp4 files that i need editing in FCP, whats the best sequence preset for this format?

Also within this edit a have a few .movs thst are 480 x 270. Can these two work together?

The final video will be played on a "50" screen.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:21:45 pm

[Melaku Zenebe] "I have a load of mp4 files that i need editing in FCP, whats the best sequence preset for this format?"

There is no best preset for mp4, because mp4 is an unacceptable editing codec in FCP. You need to use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip to convert the footage to ProRes 422.

[Melaku Zenebe] "Also within this edit a have a few .movs thst are 480 x 270. Can these two work together?"

Probably not -- at least not without constant rendering. You only mentioned the media container for the first set of footage (mp4) and NO mention of the codec for the 480x270 footage. It's like saying, "I have a bicycle and I memorized a poem. Can I use the two to make a salad?"

[Melaku Zenebe] "The final video will be played on a "50" screen."

That's irrelevant. It is the horizontal and vertical resolution of the playback device that's important. What is it? A DVD player? A Blu-Ray player? A videotape deck of some kind? A server?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:44:07 pm

These clips are less then full screen - even for SD.

When you convert them as dave mentioned. I would leave the size UNchanged to avoid further image degradation.

They will be letterbox and pillar box in a NTSC sequence.
You can double up the video layer and blow up the back ground, blur, lower opacity to fill the screen if you want. Or you could use a jump back grfx.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Melaku Zenebe
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:23:02 am

Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.

It is going to be played back via a DVD-PLAYER. I have noW converted all these clips to Pro-Res like you have mentioned, and about to bring into FCP.

Any ideas what preset i should use from here once all the editing is complete?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:39:17 am

Once edit is complete you said you're making a DVD.
That is your best settings.
Do you know how to make a DVD?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Melaku Zenebe
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:42:45 am

Have a slight idea but want to be 100%. Im assuming its as easy as putting in toast - through the video option then DVD-VIDEO?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:47:59 am

When you are done editing:

Export using "Current Settings" Make self-contained. This is your digital master - keep it forever.

Take that file and:

Drop it into compressor and choose a DVD preset (You can tweak settings if you know what you are doing)

OR

Import it into DVDSP and let it encode to mpeg2 for you in the back ground.

OR

drop it into toast with the DVD Video settings.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Melaku Zenebe
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:02:21 am

Thank-you ever so much for this!

Very much appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]